DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone made or thought of making a high power charger from a large single or 3 phase generator but changing the control system to provide the regulation for the output current?

I just wonder if the output would need much smoothing or would say a leaf cope with 100hz dc from rectified ac directly if the chademo protocol was met?

I have a 60kva single phase alternator that I am sure if the AVR was modified could easily output enough to directly charge.

Any thoughts?

Phil

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Power is not the problem. I have 200a 415v 3 phase at home. However I cannot control the power output of that just by changing a low power exciter winding. I could potentially make a 50kw charger controlled with a very low power controller as the power control would just be the excitation winding power of the alternator.

Phil

·
Registered
565 Posts
Yes, thought about it...

could also work in conjunction with a VFD (Variable Frequency Drive) as a motor drive / rectifier.

I'm in the 'boat' part of the EV world...where something like this would be very welcome (for serial-hybrid propulsion):

-variable rpm on generator: more rpm if you want more power
-rotor current: control to prevent over-current on stator, and to regulate current on output (stator)

As I'm not very good in the 'fine electronics' design department I'd have to let someone else make this work reliable for me, and due to being quite busy...I didn't follow up this idea yet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts