DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Everyone,

I’m looking to do an EV conversion but I am currently looking for the best motor/inverter combination. I’m interested in an AC motor and the Nissan Leaf motor is a top choice. However, I’m looking for 400+ hp so the stock inverter isn’t going to cut it. I’m looking at using a Tesla Model 3 battery so it will have the same voltage as a standard Nissan Leaf, around 350V nominal. Additionally, I’m wanting to utilize closed loop torque control via the stock Leaf resolver.

My main question is what is the best option for an inverter? Is it possible to change the igbts and current transducers in order to trick the control board into giving more power? Or would it be better to use an off the shelf VFD to control a diy igbt board?

And with the power I’m looking for, would the best option for the igbt layout be paralleled igbts, such as the layout in the picture below?

I’m an Electrical Engineer in progress so I’m fairly confident with most electronics, but the programming aspect is where I need most help.

Thank you for any responses!
Ryan

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I’m looking to do an EV conversion but I am currently looking for the best motor/inverter combination. I’m interested in an AC motor and the Nissan Leaf motor is a top choice. However, I’m looking for 400+ hp so the stock inverter isn’t going to cut it. I’m looking at using a Tesla Model 3 battery so it will have the same voltage as a standard Nissan Leaf, around 350V nominal. Additionally, I’m wanting to utilize closed loop torque control via the stock Leaf resolver.

My main question is what is the best option for an inverter? Is it possible to change the igbts and current transducers in order to trick the control board into giving more power? Or would it be better to use an off the shelf VFD to control a diy igbt board?

And with the power I’m looking for, would the best option for the igbt layout be paralleled igbts, such as the layout in the picture below?

I’m an Electrical Engineer in progress so I’m fairly confident with most electronics, but the programming aspect is where I need most help.

Thank you for any responses!
Ryan
You should take a look at Arlin Sansome's build on endless sphere. Hi power inverter for Nissan leaf motor. Dyno's 302.3hp p15 - Endless Sphere

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response Skyguy! I have looked fairly in depth into his build, but I do know he used a different brain board along with hundreds of hours of programming. I was wondering if the original leaf brain board could be tapped into to run a second set of identical igbts to double the power output without needing to change brain boards.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts