DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anybody know anything about this? I am wondering if such a product even exist and how it would work? I am thinking it reduces DC motor speed while increasing torque electrically somehow. IDK...

I've been talking about direct drive RWD in another thread and think I just needed a 2:1 gear ratio reducer on a DC motor but discussed a mechanical ratio reducer in place a of a transmission when somebody in a car forum suggested a high wattage variable potentiometer foot throttle.. but I can't find anything much on it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Anybody know anything about this? I am wondering if such a product even exist and how it would work? I am thinking it reduces DC motor speed while increasing torque electrically somehow. IDK...

I've been talking about direct drive RWD in another thread and think I just needed a 2:1 gear ratio reducer on a DC motor but discussed a mechanical ratio reducer in place a of a transmission when somebody in a car forum suggested a high wattage variable potentiometer foot throttle.. but I can't find anything much on it.
There is no such thing. That is what the controller or inverter does. Theres a good FAQ stickied that you should read.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
As already explained, the component which regulates the power output of the motor, by regulating the electrical power input, is the controller. An AC motor needs a suitably controlled inverter (which makes the correct frequency of AC power from the DC supplied by the battery), but a DC motor's controller is essentially a big light dimmer. It's not just a variable resistance.

The Controllers section of the forum has lots of discussions of specific controllers and issues with them, none of which will make much sense without basic knowledge to start.

The "wiki" section of this forum has bunch of threads intended as references; however, I don't see a useful description of what a controller does or how it works.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Waaaay back in the old days, you could use a suspension spring from say a 65 malibu front end and make a wiper from a 1/2 x 1/2 chunk of copper that would touch the coil.

Ugly and Neanderthal primitive, but golf carts used this scheme.

·
Registered
4 Posts

you need a tacho to register the speed & a mosfet based electronic, the controller compares the accelerator position to actual speed and if you go uphill the control automatically gives more power to keep the speed steady & reduces when going downhill, the industrie has this sort of control for the last 20 years

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
you need a tacho to register the speed & a mosfet based electronic, the controller compares the accelerator position to actual speed and if you go uphill the control automatically gives more power to keep the speed steady & reduces when going downhill, the industrie has this sort of control for the last 20 years
That describes cruise control.

The original poster was looking for some electronic method to simulate reduction gearing (which doesn't exist) and the suggestion from another forum was a ridiculous method of motor control by resistance (which we have already explained is nonsense), neither of which has anything to do with cruise control.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts