DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In another thread I have covered my discussions with DVLA regarding change of Taxation Class to ELECTRIC and for cars first registered prior to 1 Mar 2001 this is relatively easy. But what about cars 40 years and more old?

So currently a 20 year old car converted to electric can re-classified as ELECTRIC and pay no VED. Also, a 40 year old car can be re-classified as HISTORIC and pay no VED (no MOT requirement either). But what about a 40 year old car converted to electric drive?

I think there's 3 possible scenarios.
  1. A 40 year old ICE car not yet re-classified as HISTORIC is converted to electric drive.
  2. A 40 year old ICE car already re-classified as HISTORIC is converted to electric drive.
  3. A car already converted and re-classifed as ELECTRIC becomes 40 years old.
Has anyone gone through this? I'd be interested to hear others' experience with a 40 year old electric car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Without digging much, I notice you're in the UK and I recall a thread about this on the OpenInverter forums. I'm too lazy to skim it for details but if you're so inclined: Registering and changing tax class of an EV conversion in the UK - openinverter forum

Perhaps that's helpful.
Thanks, but I am aware of the situation regarding EV conversions and DVLA, as I linked to my thread specifically about that. But this thread is about 40 year old converted cars, i.e. that can in any case be re-classified as HISTORIC. Do they become HISTORIC or ELECTRIC?

I am interested to hear from anyone with a 40+ year old car that's been converted to electric drive. I'd be inclined to just have it as HISTORIC since that is clear cut and making it ELECTRIC I think would then mean it needs an MOT. Or does it?

Just wondering what others have done.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Power transmission is the tools and means to keep electricity away from generating electricity, and its history can be traced back to the end of the 19th century.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I'm particularly interested in the idea of converting a car to Electric (£0 VED) and then when it reaches 40 years old, have it re-classifed as Historic, losing the MOT requirement and probably gaining cheaper insurance. Has anyone actually been through this 2 stage process?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Once my mini marcos is converted its 40 years old next year, so I will be having that conversation with VOSA and the DVLA. Hopefully it wont be too much of a problem? But lets see

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Once my mini marcos is converted its 40 years old next year, so I will be having that conversation with VOSA and the DVLA. Hopefully it wont be too much of a problem? But lets see
It might be best to simply have it re-classified as HISTORIC. DVLA don't quibble about that and you'll get all the advantages of ELECTRIC and more. A change of engine is not considered a 'major change' in any case, so it's not necessary to even mention it to DVLA. As long as it's old enough, just go straight to HISTORIC would be my suggestion.

The problem arises when the electric conversion is done some years before it's old enough to be HISTORIC. One would want to take advantage of being ELECTRIC in the meantime, but does that then cause problems for DVLA changing to HISTORIC when the time comes. Be a bugger if they then said, "no, you're stuck with ELECTRIC". In that case it would have been better to have never mentioned the conversion.

·
Registered
10 Posts
my 1p ..
The advantages I've found for converting a historic are:
  • Easy electrics (no canbus)
  • Not Tax
  • Straightforward to switch from fuel 'Petrol' to 'Electricity' < but must use this spelling 'electric' will be rejected.
  • Classic Insurance (I recommend footman James only 10% more than when ICE powered), and can be agreed value.
  • Low cost new parts
  • Vast information resources (eg forums - but check facts, some folk get these mixed up with opinions :) )
Conversion before this was a smart car (which has battery space designed in) .. but by comparison connection to canbus, engine electrics and DVLA were a PIA !!
and as a modern so much more complex than a 50 yr old !

Cheers Mark
mas-design.com/lotus-elon

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Conversion before this was a smart car (which has battery space designed in) .. but by comparison connection to canbus, engine electrics and DVLA were a PIA !!
So that was a post 2001 car. Did you manage to get it re-classified as ELECTRIC and hence exempt from VED?

Despite DVLA's stance on this as I've posted elsewhere, I do believe some cars have been allowed to slip through the net. It would be good to know absolutely that they have in fact re-classified some post 2001 cars.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So that was a post 2001 car. Did you manage to get it re-classified as ELECTRIC and hence exempt from VED?

Despite DVLA's stance on this as I've posted elsewhere, I do believe some cars have been allowed to slip through the net. It would be good to know absolutely that they have in fact re-classified some post 2001 cars.
1969 so already exempt from VED. .. Which I'm sure made the going to 'Electricity' easier.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1969 so already exempt from VED. .. Which I'm sure made the going to 'Electricity' easier.
Sorry, I was referring to the Smart car as being post 2001. What was the route taken with that regarding re-classification to ELECTRIC?

Apart from the interrelationship with the HISTORIC Taxation Class, I'm interested in hearing about examples of post 2001 cars that DVLA have allowed to be re-classified as ELECTRIC (that's Taxation Class, not Fuel Type).

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Smart conversion was 12 years ago - it was simple and zero VED iirc - but I haven't kept up with the system for 'moderns' since then. It may well have changed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts