DIY Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Wow. Thanks again for the link land cruiser!! Interesting... How was Phoenix m.c. that far ahead of what was being offered or used in the EV industry????
. Im Crawllng under and over it, reading volts and chasing wires to find clearly stamped experimental electric boxes , and charging a 2010 or older LTO EV PACK. Pretty much every day.... AND I KIND OF KEEP ASKING MYSELF, WHAT'S THE CATCH!?? 12yrs ago? I kinda wish these things were all over the roads . Shame they didn't have a big enough war chest to carry on.. this one will see more yhan the 1112mi on it now.
D

·
Registered
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
198 Posts
LTO is pretty old technology compared to other battery tech. They have less energy density than what normal EVs use. Since it's a pickup truck it can give up a little extra weight and space for a larger battery so it makes sense, especially in a work vehicle that will be abused and let to sit discharged etc.

Where did you find it for sale?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
4 of them were sold by an auction liquidator in the end of 2019. 3 were together in a warehouse, just sitting for years in Nevada. This one was in a different warehouse but same location. It was the only AWD with air conditioning, power windows , and options. Not sure how the a.c. works but it blows cold? This one was purchased by a guy in northern Georgia who could not charge it. So it sat in his warehouse until last month. He was going to put a 350 Chevy in it... so I kind of rescued it.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
Interesting... How was Phoenix m.c. that far ahead of what was being offered or used in the EV industry?
Were they ahead? Lots of EV startups have come and gone, all offering functional vehicles but failing commercially - Phoenix didn't even get this vehicle into regular production (only a few demonstrators were built).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I can't say. Pretty forward thinking a decade ago however. EV still utilized lead acid packs I mean...justvsaying. I heard they imported 100 Actyon trucks and suvs. From Korea somehow. Cap and trade, green subsidies, oil and fuel industry, the number one economic contribution to the US economy being PICKUP truck manufacturing and sales, so th big 3, yes a lot of ad density to overcome for sure. Plus the American public was not convinced.
I do know this. When my children are my age, they will barely remember planes, trained, automobiles,and even power plants that burned fossil fuels and coal. Today they are 21 and 13 years old.
What a world.
D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I read in some notes tucked in the Elko Valelrie charger booklet that they imported 100 Actyon. Another statement by Phoenix is they had resold that many. Who knows. I did receive an email from the current Phoenix motarcars company in reslonse to my inquiry requesting any specs, shop drawings , diagrams, and so forth.
Their response was " we do not support that product any longer. Those vehicles were all destroyed. Sincerely, .....xxx" so who knows how many of the vehicles are out There? At least 3 others according to the company that sold the one I have in Nevada. Maybe they really only had the four left in the warehouses? I have no idea how to find out.
D
D

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
Pretty forward thinking a decade ago however. EV still utilized lead acid packs I mean...justvsaying.
Over 20 years ago, in the previous century, the GM EV-1 and other EVs of its era (Ford Ranger EV, Toyota RAV4 EV, Honda EV Plus... everything featured in the movie "Who Killed the Electric Car?") had NiMH batteries (optional but available in the Ranger EV), so this technology was already a decade old and lead-acid was already obsolete for EVs for a decade when Phoenix appeared. The Nissan Altra even used lithium-ion back then. By around 2010, everyone was using lithium-ion: Toyota RAV4 EV (second generation), Mitsubishi i-MiEV, etc.

I heard they imported 100 Actyon trucks and suvs. From Korea somehow.
Incomplete vehicles as "rollers" to complete as EVs were the basis of various EV companies, and some are still built that way (such as on Ford E-series chassis-cabs by Lightning eMotors). Since they're not complete they don't need to meet many regulations, so it can be practical to import and use them even if they're not normally sold in North America. I applaud Phoenix for their attempt, and the SUV/SUT was in some ways a clever base vehicle choice and configuration, but it wasn't unique or technically advanced.

On the other hand, the vehicle which was a failure as a commercially produced EV a decade ago makes a pretty good conversion project now. :) Especially if the original battery cells can be revived.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
I read in some notes tucked in the Elko Valelrie charger booklet that they imported 100 Actyon. Another statement by Phoenix is they had resold that many. Who knows. I did receive an email from the current Phoenix motarcars company in reslonse to my inquiry requesting any specs, shop drawings , diagrams, and so forth.
Their response was " we do not support that product any longer. Those vehicles were all destroyed. Sincerely, .....xxx" so who knows how many of the vehicles are out There? At least 3 others according to the company that sold the one I have in Nevada. Maybe they really only had the four left in the warehouses? I have no idea how to find out.
My guess is that they made a deal to import 100 Actyon rollers, and actually imported that many or (more likely) far fewer. Regardless of how many Actyon were imported, only a few were ever completed as EVs, as a demonstration fleet in preparation for the volume production that never occurred. It seems likely that they intended to destroy all of them - at least the converted ones - but missed a few, either because they got them back after the destruction was done, or they lost track of them. The four that you found are likely all of the surviving examples.

I have to wonder what would have been done with unused Actyon rollers, as they would have little value in North America; perhaps they were exported to places where that vehicle was sold (with an engine).

21 - 29 of 29 Posts