DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 11 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Hey LloydB,

Armature lamination thickness is like .018 or .025 inch thick. Core length maybe 5 to 6 inch. Maybe 49 slots. That's like 12,000 little rectangles to cut out while holding dimensions to .001 inch tolerance :eek:

After all that, I doubt you'll be happy with the performance. Better save up the money and buy a motor.

Regards,

major
This was the exact question I was going to ask.
I know you said that performance would not be satisfactory but could you please elaborate on a suitable design? Or point me in the direction of some good web reading on the subject?

I wish to build an EV to trial out a battery system I have been scheming up, and wanted a cheap test subject to try it out on before I go ahead and spend the money on a more advanced system.

Kind Regards

· Registered
16 Posts
Don't get me wrong I was merely interested in the idea, like you say any simple homemade motor would be rubbish and it is the batteries I am interested in not the motor. However having knowledge of something no matter how basic the level is always a nice thing. I thankfully I will never need to perform surgery, but if in a crisis it was called for it'd certainly find all the information I could before hand, even if all I learned was a scalpel was sharp ;)

@Woodsmith
Thank you for the link I will give it a read

I will leave my other questions to a new thread and leave this one for LloydB's original question

1 - 2 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.