DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This is my baby, my first modification job, and I think it turned out well. She currently has a 1.6sohc turbo engine under the hood, running 200bhp at the wheels. The time has come, where it is too expensive to run, (but oh my is it fun) so I'm planning to take the ICE out, and replace with something a bit more interesting.

Thing's I'm planning to do: Still have approx 200hp
Have and ok Range, anything over 25 will make me happy for now, can work on that later
Blend and work solar pannles into, bonnet, roof and boot, so I'm hoping there is a controller/technique available that will allow charge to go into the cells whilst still being drawn from it.

Any opinions welcome

·
Admin: 'one of many'
4,838 Posts
Hello fellow Englander!:D

Whereabouts are you in our wet and windy land?

200hp, that's a lot. You are another one who could do with a read of CroDriver's BMW thread. That will show you first hand what it takes to get that sort of power with electrics.;) There is a lot of work and lithium involved but it would be good to get that happening in the UK as well.

Not convinced that solar panels would give you anymore then a miniscule amount of return on the investment though that may change with thin film organic PV. The output will be less but the investment should be even less, if you know what I mean.:D
In relation to the 200hp you want it would be akin to giving a race horse one oat to eat.

You would be better off looking at using the Government's current feed in tarrif and having a professionally installed solar PV set up on your house and then charging your car from that and the grid.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input, I appreciate how little charge I would get from solar panels specially in the UK (I'm in Lincolnshire BTW) , I have a differnet system for putting charge into the batteries whilst moving, I was using solar panels as more of an easier way to explain my intensions.

I have had a look at the BMW drift conversion threads, was a few months ago now, he was the one who inspired me to really give my civic a whirl. Why not have an ev that can still perform.

I've seen that Siemens make a 150kw motor, which I work out as being close to 200hp, correct me if I'm wrong

·
4,838 Posts
Sometimes it is hard to get hold of motors as some manufacturers won't sell to individuals.

Also, to match your existing 200bhp performance you wouldn't need 150kw.
Depending on the depth of your pockets and your ability to find/scrounge a motor like that it would also be worth looking at the conventionally used big DC series motors that are available from forklift traction motors to Warp11 and Kostov11 motors with a Soliton1 controller.
For lighter weight there are also the Agni 95R motors but they are not cheap to get or to control and you would be looking at a few of them tandemed up. I doubt that they would suit your needs though.

AC motors would be another option but it is a costly one and you may be hard pressed to find suitable controllers.

Anyway, I am hardly an expert in this area so hopefully later the knowledgable ones will be online.:)

·
Registered
163 Posts
see what you can do about scavenging a forklift motor, unless you are strictly ac.

i picked one up, along with a battery "fuel guage, and the wiring for less that 100$ its not very hard to get these motors to run on high voltage, and it could save you hundreds, even thousands on a motor :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How much voltage can you run, how much power will they put out and how long do you reckon a second hand used motor will last?

I want my car too last at least another 10 years, it's a rare car anyway in England, so might as well look after if and make it into something special..

·
Registered
163 Posts
well, forklift dc motors ALWAYS outlast the forklift by alot, a forklit motor could outlast you!! all it would need is maybe a brush change every like 10 years depending on your use, but the actual motor could last upwards of 30 years i maintained, and not abused. you have to get a motor with as many "bars" as possible so it will run better at high voltage, and get a motor that has the " beefiest" armature and insides. i have seen forklift motors ran at 220v DC and even more. now, their output depends on what type of "juice" you give it. an electric motor isnt an engine its acctually a converter, all it does is convert electricity into kinetic energy. so if you give it 200v, and 1200A

that would be 240,000Watts of energy, and 240KW is way more than a 200hp motor, that would make your honda fly!

·
4,838 Posts
Have you had a read of the stick thread on fork truck motors in the motors forum?

There is a Fork truck breaker near Chesterfield that has a warehouse full of motors. Once you know what you need to get then it may be worth call in and having a look.

One of the things that I found very useful was to make a fixed caliper template of the maximum dimensions I had space for I could then very quickly rule out any motors that didn't fit for size before inspecting its data plate.
They are happy for you to take a 'Mega' and a battery to test the motors.

They are only unhappy if you turn up at 5 minutes to closing as they all want to shoot off on time.:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts