DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4,458 Posts
I was surprised to receive a very positive response for the Inhaler on a traditional (specifically Pro Touring style) hot rod forum. These guys are red white & blue-blooded American muscle car enthusiasts, many of which spend a LOT of money building their cars. The bigger and badder and louder the engine, the better, so I was expecting to get beat down with a camshaft and thrown out back for the crows to finish off. They actually like it!

Of course, it doesn't hurt that I came in the door stating that I was seeking 500hp/1000lb-ft in a 1200lb package! :D I really made it clear that my goal is to build a hot rod, not a green machine, and they seemed to understand and appreciate that fact. It'll be interesting to see how they respond when I get serious with the electric powertrain.

· Registered
4,458 Posts
...However, most seemed to be concerned about the 'milk float' performance and lack of exhaust noise.
...and limited range.

While I didn't receive any negative comments on my project, I did get one question about how much range it would have. I was still planning my "small" A123 pack then and the subject just died when I said 40-50 miles. I suspect they didn't like that at all, but they are pretty mature and didn't go negative on a project they seem to like over it. I did post that the prospective pack I am toying with now would pretty much double that, but still no response.

Even at 10-15mpg, these guys can fill their tanks repeatedly and they do really drive their really expensive hot rods, so that was to be expected. I think my saving grace was I pointed out from the beginning that the Inhaler is a street-legal race car, not a street car that can race, so as long as it's fast I'll get a pass on that one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.