DIY Electric Car Forums banner

How do other forums react to your EV conversion?? IE Porsche/Corvette/Fiero/VW/etc?

6289 Views 30 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  RupertWild
After buying a couple of Porsche 944's I became a member of rennlist.com since it's a great source for help in all things mechanical and electrical to do with a Porsche (I hadn't exactly made it public that I was converting a Porsche to electric). This evening I came across a thread where someone had linked to my garage page on here where I have info about the car and my performance goals. Most of the comments were pure negative saying an electric Porsche was the stupidest thing in the world, that an electric porsche could never do 0-60 in 5 seconds and that I'd be lucky an electric Porsche could do 0-60... once. There were a few supporters, and the odd one that simply thought it was cool but the general tone of the thread was negative (not the initial poster, his comment was skeptical but interested). Since I've been a member there for a few months I commented that it was my 944 and the goals are real etc, there hasn't been another negative comment, only a few supporters with kind comments.

I'm just curious what other people run into on other forums mainly the type of forum that is dedicated to a certain brand or model of car? Do you run into the guys who think you are doing brand "x" some kind of injustice by converting their gas guzzling flagship into an eco friendly "electric" car?
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,296 Posts
My experience has been forums that favor the DIYer , and the technical minded members, have always seemed to be supportive and helpful or any EV conversion or mod.

On the other hand... those forums who generally do not engage in DIY , or technical discussion have been against it.

Of course there will always be those people who just seemed to feel defensive , or threatened... and bash others in response.

· Registered
1,296 Posts
Ian got me thinking now (he has that affect on me:p)
ditto

Of all you folks that got negative reviews, what was the crowd generally like? Were they mostly about putting "bolt on" mods like body kits, "aftermarket" mufflers and plug in tuners, or did they get into really in depth rebuilding of the cars in question? (as in transmission or engine overhaul)

I'm thinking the age group might also play a role. Guys in their late teens to to mid 20s can be pretty arrogant sometimes.....especially the ones in their twenties.

:rolleyes:
Maybe it has just been my experience ... but ... I have never meet a person toward the upper ends of in depth technical knowledge and detail who has ever been negative / of hurtful of BEV conversions and mods discussions.

Of course they may have some constructive suggestions and might disagree with some things ... but the 'feel' of the interaction has always been more positive and helpful , than demeaning and negative.

Of course this does not include those people who just know enough to think they know everything ... it has been my experience those types , seem to be negative and bashing of everyone who isn't kissing their *&%^!.
:rolleyes:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.