DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 76 Thundersky TS-LFP40AHA (LiFePO4) cells that I stored with no BMS five years ago. They are now completely discharged (0V) and have probably been so for years. I have not tried to charge them nor have I tested them.

They weigh about 3-1/2 pounds apiece. The set of 76 thus weighs about 266 pounds.

I'm moving and I would like to dispose of them. The SAFE recycling center (4600 Colorado Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90039) wouldn't take them. I'm looking for ideas.

--Gil

·
Registered
741 Posts
most local governments have special drop-off days for household hazmat waste

try calling your state DEP/EPA equivalent

few at a time in the screen gadget recycling box at big box retail?

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have 76 Thundersky TS-LFP40AHA (LiFePO4) cells that I stored with no BMS five years ago. They are now completely discharged (0V) and have probably been so for years. I have not tried to charge them nor have I tested them.

They weigh about 3-1/2 pounds apiece. The set of 76 thus weighs about 266 pounds.

I'm moving and I would like to dispose of them. The SAFE recycling center (4600 Colorado Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90039) wouldn't take them. I'm looking for ideas.

--Gil
There is not much in them besides copper and aluminum foil and plastic of course. Cut them open and separate the foil and recycle like copper and aluminum. If there is no voltage the aren't dangerous. There is no acid or anything harmful in them the electrolyte is sort of like anti-freeze.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions, folks. A local fellow is coming by to pick them up and try rejuvenating them. Let's all wish him well!

Yay!

--Gil

P.S. I'll give him a link to this forum.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
watch them turn up on eBay, "unable to test" no return
"Looks I don't have time or equipment to test these. Just need them to go. Far as I know they're working but they might have a little degraded capacity, you'll have to test them yourself. Sold as-is, no returns, bid accordingly."

·
Administrator
6,120 Posts
If the guy has space to store them then they will be worth a couple of bucks in a few years when people are set up to recycle them

That is if he can't get any of them to work

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I told the fellow that I had measured some of them and they all showed 0V. Perhaps he'll be able to rejuvenate a few. At any rate, he said that he knows where to dispose of them when he's done with them.

I'm glad they're out of my garage. I wish him well.

--Gil

1 - 8 of 8 Posts