DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thinking how many contactors are needed in a build is it two or three.

looking at Damien's last video on the HV connection box.

is a contactor needed for both pos and neg on the high voltage battery pack ?

looks like he just using a relay for pre charge is this sufficient or does it need a contactor too.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Myself I’m using:
- Main +
- Main -
- Charger
As full current contactors.
A smaller precharge relay (rated for the high voltage but lower current).
Furthermore I’m using big contactors for my CHAdeMO + and -.
Additionally I’m using small contactors for the PTC element and perhaps HV battery heater.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I’m using the following
HV +
HV -
Chademo +
Chademo -
Tesla gen 2 charger +
Tesla gen 2 charger -
Ptc heater +
Volt inverter +
Tesla heater +

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m using the following
HV +
HV -
Chademo +
Chademo -
Tesla gen 2 charger +
Tesla gen 2 charger -
Ptc heater +
Volt inverter +
Tesla heater +

wow thats a lot, i am thinking more along the lines of the expensive KILOVAC EV200 type that are well over £100 each, i suppose three of these are needed as a min is one of these needed for the precharge ?, what size contactors are you using for the other components ?

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
To start, what kind of controller are you using? Some already control precharge. Curtis, Sevcon, etc all control precharge automatically.

Second, if you want extra safety, you can use a negative pack contactor, or emergency disconnect.

For BMS, they can turn on/off the charger. Some are via relay and an enable line to the charger and some operate by turning off the AC to the charger.

·
Registered
248 Posts
wow thats a lot, i am thinking more along the lines of the expensive KILOVAC EV200 type that are well over £100 each, i suppose three of these are needed as a min is one of these needed for the precharge ?, what size contactors are you using for the other components ?

That is the contactor I am using. You have to look around for deals. I found a company in my state selling new ones for about $65 each after shipping. Yeah, not cheap but they are required.

They only come in one size. They are good up to 500 amps I believe. I am using the same contactor for all components. I have spec sheets if you want me to email them to you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts