DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been transferring a Forklift motor and controller into a ute and just got everything working today. Its a 48v system with two motor windings in series. It it extremely sluggish and needs more power so I was thinking of wiring it up so both motor windings have 48v parrellel.
Does anyone have any reasons why this could be a bad idea?
I think that means doubling the current over a single winding, which is quadrupling the total current draw.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
I have been transferring a Forklift motor and controller into a ute and just got everything working today. Its a 48v system with two motor windings in series. It it extremely sluggish and needs more power so I was thinking of wiring it up so both motor windings have 48v parrellel.
Does anyone have any reasons why this could be a bad idea?
I think that means doubling the current over a single winding, which is quadrupling the total current draw.
Hi Prof,

If it is a reversible series wound motor (as most forklift DC traction motors are), and by "two motor windings", you mean the armature (A1&A2) and the field (S1&S2), then it is a terrible idea. The field must be in series with the armature.

If by chance, it is a 6 terminal motor where the field has 4 terminals, S1,S2,S3,S4, then the two separate field windings can be put in parallel with each other, but still needs be in series with armature (A1&A2).

First thing you need to do is verify the battery. Measure battery voltage and current no load and under load. Report back.

Regards,

major

1 - 2 of 2 Posts