DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it would be helpful for people planning to know what others have paid for what type and quantity of batteries if you wouldn't mind sharing please?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First, thanks guys for the varied replies, informative and helpfult o many I'm sure.

Secondly, Holy Moly! Coming in to this I didn't realise just how much people are spending.

I'm looking into an alternative purchasing scheme some may be interested in, I'll get my facts right first though, even though it is the Internet! :p

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How much do you spend on gasoline in a year? Now multiply that x10 for ten years. So that is the $$ number to compare with the price of the battery pack.
People find $50 per week (whatever) for petrol, while not everybody has a chunk sitting in their bank account for a one hit battery deal. You forgot to mention charging costs as well, some countries like Australia, electricity rates are murder.

I'm not here to argue the price, which I can afford, but being new to the scene I was just a bit surprised by it, and since I can buy whole brand new cars for well under $15000 with 33kwh batteries and 110hp, I am trying to find where the balance point is. I have to buy 5 cars at a time though to get the fleet purchase Government new energy subsidy.

EVWest has a complete VW Beetle kit for $19,000 and only 22kwh for comparison. Their other kits are $7000 with no batteries.

http://www.evwest.com/catalog/produ...ucts_id=217&osCsid=l27a9nhdal3b4cu9mukh7srev5

Just on batteries, I went out this morning in Zero temps and light snow in the Tesla and a warning notice came up that battery use would be very high due to the very low temperature, yup, chewed through the charge at twice the normal rate.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
15k$ includes the gummint paying for half of the price.
Yeah, great innit, think of it as fuel tax being put to work to offset the damage they cause.

What utility economy or practicality is there in a C cab resto hot rod?
Promotion of EVs in these early times, and a little bit better localised air quality.

- I'm no Greeny by the way, but numbers of cities could do with more EVs and less ICEs, especially light to medium delivery trucks.

Thanks Yabert.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
No Brian, and yes, its the argument for people that tell me Im still burning non-renewables in the form of coal.
I just tell them about localised air quality in the cities and how much a gas or EV vehicle improves that. They get the picture of thousands of people walking next to hundreds of cars in traffic jams breathing in all that crap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.