6,489 Posts
Hi
I will start
I'm using most of a Chevy Volt Battery

I paid $1800 US for this at a California scrapper - on Car Parts
http://www.car-part.com/

Time I got it here (NZ) and paid GST on it it was $3,300 NZ

That's 16 kWhrs -
I'm using 14 kWhrs - I could only fit 6 off the 2 kWh modules and the 2 off 1 kWh modules

The KEY problem for people who are not in the USA is finding a shipper!

I used a local Hot Rod Import company that had a link to a Californian site

·
Administrator
6,489 Posts
Thanks Duncan, good info.

I presume 16KWhrs gets you around 100 KM/60 miles? (I'm still learning sorry).
I wish!!

My car is not very aerodynamic! - my range is more like 50 km

I haven't checked for a while but at 100 kph (60 mph) I used to use 200 amps at 120v - 24 Kw
That would eat 16 kWhrs is 40 minutes - 40 miles - 64 Km
But that would be the whole 16 kWhrs - and I'm charging to 90% and discharging to 20%
So 70% usable - 45 km?

I've actually cut down my frontal area a bit since then and I think I'm using less amps but my meter is all over the shop so I'm not sure

I just keep an eye on the battery voltage - Chevy Volt batteries have a usable voltage/charge slope

The old Lotus 7's were unbeatable below 100 mph - above that the aerodynamics .........

·
Administrator
6,489 Posts
How much do you spend on gasoline in a year? Now multiply that x10 for ten years. So that is the $$ number to compare with the price of the battery pack.
If you are building for economy - that is the way to look at it!

If you are building for performance then look at what you would need to spend for a similar performance engine - 500+ Hp tends to be expensive!

And look at what people routinely spend on "Hot Rods" or things like decent paint jobs

IMHO anybody building or converting a car to save money is kidding themselves - buying a used OEM Ev will be much cheaper

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.