DIY Electric Car Forums banner

How much difference will 1.5 HP make?

3765 Views 9 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  ww321q
I'm trying to decide which motor to put in my 1991 Nissan NX1600.
The stock curb weight is 2350 Lbs. I'm planning to remove the clutch and connect the motor output shaft directly to the transmission.

Option 1;
ADC #203-06-4001 8" 72-144VDC 17.5HP Single Shaft - $1450.00

Option 2;
ADC #FB1-4001A 9.1" 72-144VDC 19HP Double Shaft - $1735.00

My needs are 15 miles range, 45MPH top speed.
Using a 120V pack, will I notice much performance difference? Will the larger motor have to work less and run cooler?

If there is not a huge performance difference, am I better off spending the $300 on a better controller?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
293 Posts
I say go for more HP. That means the motor gives you a more satisfying performance and is less likely to overheat. The times you would like a few more horses under the hood I find is often.

I am glad for my 5 speed & a functioning clutch. Some here and elsewhere are regretting loss of a clutch.

The Warp 9 is an improvement of the ADC 9".

120V, 9"ADC, S10

· Registered
173 Posts
Whats the advantage for having a clutch? Im going to build a 63 bug. Im a new bee. Thanks.:)
Well, for one downshifting is tricky without a clutch. But it does depend alot on your transmission and size of motor. Bigger motors have more armature mass, so clutchless upshifting is slower then with a smaller motor. And some trannies work better then others without a clutch.

I'm still trying to find out the verdict for a VW Type 1 IRS transaxle with a 7" motor. Anybody?

· Registered
293 Posts
It takes a while for the motor to slow down, especially in my clutch/flywheel situation. But in traffic & you need to up/down shift quickly, you can’t until the motor winds down or speeds up. I am aware that without that momentum of the heavy flywheel, the motor “would” slow down faster & allow for a speedier shift.

I know this is hearsay, but at the local adult ed school, someone noted my truck in the parking lot. In our conversation, he had previously spoken with an EV owner that said if they were to do it again, it WOULD have a clutch.

I can see the argument that a flywheel slows an accelerating motor, just as do big heavy tires with steel rims (remember the days when mag wheels were all the rage? New cars have so little mass on the rims). But when entering the interstate & I need to upshift or need to downshift on a steep grade, for me that clutch is sure nice.

· Registered
401 Posts
I'm trying to decide which motor to put in my 1991 Nissan NX1600.
The stock curb weight is 2350 Lbs. I'm planning to remove the clutch and connect the motor output shaft directly to the transmission.

Option 1;
ADC #203-06-4001 8" 72-144VDC 17.5HP Single Shaft - $1450.00

Option 2;
ADC #FB1-4001A 9.1" 72-144VDC 19HP Double Shaft - $1735.00

My needs are 15 miles range, 45MPH top speed.
Using a 120V pack, will I notice much performance difference? Will the larger motor have to work less and run cooler?

If there is not a huge performance difference, am I better off spending the $300 on a better controller?

I asked a similar question here http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13630

Never really got a suitable answer to it either.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I asked a similar question here http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13630

Never really got a suitable answer to it either.
It seems that "more is always better and too much is not enough" is the default answer.
My ICE vehicle has a 6 cylinder engine. Are there times a V-8 would be better? Sure, but only a few times a year and I don't want to feed a monster like that for the 5% of the time 2 cylinders would be an advantage.

I've contacted a few EV owners that I found on EV Album and the consensus seems to be that anything below 15HP runs too hot and lacks acceleration. Dave Murray wrote that his Talon using a ES-15a was sluggish and he would use an 8" motor in the future. He even joked that a kid on a bicycle beat him off the mark one time.

For better or worse, I'm going to use an ADC 203-06-4001 in a friend's 1973 Super Beetle and my 1991 Nissan NX1600 and will report my findings here.

· Registered
64 Posts
I have no clutch in my 1993 Eagle Talon. It up shifts very easily. The trick is in the timing. Whenever you let off the accellerator pedal and pull the shifter down into neutral, the motor will start slowing down on its own very quickly. But the vehicle will still be coasting at a similar speed. So when you go to put it in a higher gear, the ratio is almost perfect for it to slip in. However, if you take too long and leave the thing in neutral too long then it doesn't want to go in. So again, it is all in the timing. It took me about a week to get used to it, after that it was smooth sailing.

I made a video about how to shift in clutchless.. Look here, it is the very bottom video on this page:

http://galaxy22.dyndns.org/ev-talon/evvideos.html

Downshifting is the hard part, but again, can be done painlessly once the technique is mastered. Operating a clutchless EV just works a little different than you are used to, so it takes some time to adjust. You have to learn to drive a standard all over again.

However.. I'm about to test something. Right now I have a 6.7" motor and it is not really giving me the power I want, so I'm about to upgrade to an 8" motor. We'll see if clutchless works as well.

· Registered
575 Posts
However.. I'm about to test something. Right now I have a 6.7" motor and it is not really giving me the power I want, so I'm about to upgrade to an 8" motor. We'll see if clutchless works as well.
Just a motor size change ? No controller , voltage , amperage or battery change ? Also check range , watt hrs or what ever info you can collect , before and after . I believe that a bigger motor will have some bad effects too at lower voltages . J.W.:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.