DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According the other leaf motor coupler thread, looks to be quite a bit of interest. I might be interested in making couplers, but, need input. Exactly what shape, design would be favored by those looking for a coupler.

I do not have access to a motor, so, would need exact OD and ID of the shaft. Other things I can deduce from there.

1. How long
2. Type of interface on the face to match other couplers/shafts.
3.What about the other shafts. Does this venture require 2 parts.
4. Drawings with measurements of design would be helpful.
5. A head on photo of a leaf shaft would help get this started.

I could get started very soon after a design was settled on.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
106 views and 1 possible maybe. In 3 weeks I will be in Florida with access to my metal lathe, milling machine, 2 bandsaws, and numerous hand and power tools.

With no more interest than 1 reply, I don't see any reason to undertake making couplers, especially buying the broach and setting up a small production line.

One can only try to provide needed items, sometimes with no input or responses.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK. Lets see how this thread plays out. I will need to know something definite so I can investigate the broach purchase. Of course, the more ordered the better the price for the couplers.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is point one addressed.
But it might be a, you make it and no one ever wanted one.
Second point addressed. Designing to me is, does this need a flange to bolt another different spline coupler to. Does this need to be just a straight tube coupler , etc. Laying out and machining the splines is what I will be doing.

I'm retired and on a fixed income, so, I don't have funds to squander for ' just in case'. I'm trying to get a reverse tadpole motorcycle built, so my wife and I can get groceries and visit a bit. I'm trying to stir interest in a controller that will operate an altermotor, so others can use them, as I try to convert motos where I live.

I'm not looking to made 100's of these. If I can do maybe 15 or so, I would be happy with that. I'm not looking to get rich, just a few side bucks to help my project get completed, or, trading for others assistance on electronics, etc. would also be fine.

If nothing comes of this, it won't be any skin off my nose. I'm just trying to part of a solution to further the revolution.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dedlast. Thank you for those photos. I understand the involute you mentioned, but, it's a little fuzzy to see the splined shaft photo.

For talking sake, It appears they are 60 degree sides as opposed to 90 degree ?

I don't do CAD drawing, but, I could make a test shaft, if need be, and would appreciate a more dead on shaft photo, as ElectroWorks has also asked for.

I sent a PM to arber in Croatia/Latvia asking about possibly knowing someone that could obtain a clutch hub like he used and mail it to Florida. Of course, if anyone in Europe could do this it's a 2004 Fiat Multipla 1.6 Liter engine clutch disc. Just know out the rivets somehow and mail the hub. Will gladly pay for one or send a completed coupler if wanted.

I'm still in Costa Rica and will be in Florida USA on May 30. THEN, I can seriously look for whatever it takes to get started on the spline cutting.

Meanwhile, lets try to get a head count on whoever would be interested, so I can also work on lowest possible pricing + Shipping.

I'm hesitant on going on other forums, just to announce the possibility of making these. Seems very tacky, so, I'm hoping to get at least 10 positive inputs on first round of possibilities wanted.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dedlast, that is an amazing photo. Thanks again. I am going to check out that CAD program you mentioned.

My buddy down here works in a foreign car repair shop, so, I PM'd him that I'm looking for a Fiat hub like arber333 mentioned. Arber333, sorry I missed your country by a few degrees.

Anyone from Europe, all I need is the center spline section from a clutch DISC. No need for me to buy a complete clutch kit to get this small splined hub. Just make sure it is from the correct Fiat Multipla, Brava, Doblo.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
winzeracer, I sent you a PM, but, apparently they are not functioning, because I also sent one to arber333 and my sent messages box shows nothing sent to either of you. If you care to exchange emails, I would like to contact you.
mine is hmincr at g mail
Harold

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I follow what you did, but, I still need a splined hub. The particular car (s) that you referred to are simply not readily available in the USA. My Son is checking with inport car repair shops to see if anyone can offer a supply house to purchase a clutch disc.

Those ebay links you provided all have a 3 piece kit and shipping all that would be almost $400.00, just to get a splined hub piece. I was offered a CAD drawing file for nearly that much, but, I simply don't have that kind of money to take a chance on moving enough couplers to recover my expenses.

There is no telling what a broach will cost. A splined hub would get me way down the road to pricing out product. I was hoping someone in Europe would assist me with procuring and mailing a hub, since this forum is viewed world wide.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
This is exactly why I am trying to get the correct spline pattern, and add a flange for connecting to flange on transmission shaft with a possible bushing or needle bearing for support.

I have milling machine, metal lathe, bandsaws, oxy/acy torch, etc. in Fl, just waiting for me to get there.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Well, except for the 3 people that offered up all they could, and not a single soul in the UK offering to assist a little with a clutch hub, even though I have offered payment for helping, and parts only available in the USA for years 2012 and up, this project is officially dead.

I have my own projects to work on, so, sorry Icouldn't make these couplers available.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.