DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Could you do a close-up of the motor shaft from the side to show what kind of shoulder, if any, there is and its diameter and length. Also,a shot of the center drilled hole in the end of the shaft.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I think this is what you are looking for. The first is when I was looking at the minimum distance possible between my motor and transmission. The other is with the Geo tracker clutch disk sitting on the shaft.

Bill
The 2 machined areas of the motor shaft, either side of the splines, could be used to locate a coupling. This way avoids using the splines by themselves to properly align and support the shafts. The splines are a poor choice to do this in this application.
Leaf Motor.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
931 Posts
I assembled my motor with insert coupler. One side has smooth shaft other has splines. http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1001458&postcount=2047

Or here:
https://mazdamx3ev.wordpress.com/2018/05/17/sklopka-ven/

Main thing is i found bare lovejoy coupler pair with insert for some 60€. Then i cut out clutch hub with splines and made a seat in coupler. That way splines actually transfer torque without being welded. I wanted to avoid that so as not to weaken splines.
One could do the same for Leaf motor and transmission on the other side. This kind of joint can eat some missalignment and still be hardy enough.

This type of coupling is great if the 2 shafts being connected are well supported by bearings. Electric motors are usually OK for this, but the transmission input shaft may not be. With your fingers, check to see if the transmission input shaft moves freely side to side. If it does, it means by design it is not well supported inside the transmission and needs the pilot bearing for proper support. And, not a good set-up for this type of coupling.

A loose input shaft, under load with this type of coupling, can move around excessively and cause damage to bearings and gears inside the transmission.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.