DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
you are only reaching people who are here,
Good points throughout, Matt.
There don't seem to be that many Leaf builds on here. It seems that Tesla is the majority focus but they may just be the most "vocal". You could also ask this same question on mynissanleaf.com since there seems to be some activity over there as well.

The other thing hmincr, you are essentially asking someone to design the coupler and then offering to do the machining. The design work seems to be the more difficult step at this point, to my admittedly myopic view.

Bill

·
Registered
260 Posts
Let's see if I can some of this stuff posted.

Here are a super close-up picture of the spline and a shot of the inside of the input shaft. I haven't done much picture uploading so I'm sure they could be attached better.

I measured 21.5mm OD and 19.0mm ID just a minute ago. My motor is in kind of a difficult to reach orientation right now, so someone else should back up those numbers.

In nearly everyone of the close up shots I have, the splines look like flat sided splines, not involute.

Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
260 Posts
Dedlast. Thank you for those photos.
You're welcome.

For talking sake, It appears they are 60 degree sides as opposed to 90 degree ?
See the attached photo. I got nearly 70 degrees on that spline and ~73 on the next one. I'm pretty sure that's an issue with the photo and lighting but I would still bet that 70 degrees would work fine. But then I'm only pretending to be a mechanical engineer.

I don't do CAD drawing...
I was struggling to get anything going in any CAD program until our ME at work introduced me to Onshape. It's a cloud based CAD program that has been much easier for me to get my head wrapped around. He told me it is a lot like SolidWorks.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.