DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a reference , but I do not want to compare with the Gas expense value .
my concern it is
if I change a car to electric how much will expense per day in one charge once I connect the Car to my electric home measure, please be concerned that the cost of the Kwh can be different from place to pace like North America vs San Diego, or Latina America.

thank you

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
We typically log 35 miles a day in our EV. Almost always charge overnight in our garage and have dedicated metered circuit for the charger. It usually takes about 10-12 kWh per recharge. Our cost is $0.10/kWh. So about $30/month increase in electric bill. About 3-3.5 miles/kWh or roughly 300 Wh/mile. 80% is ~60mph, rest city. I figure at 41,000 EV miles, amounts to like 2000 gallons of gas I didn't buy and burn.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
For any EV there is a typical energy consumption per distance, such as (for example) 200 Wh/km. Just multiply that rate of consumption by the distance which you drive to get the daily energy consumption. For example, 200 Wh/km and 50 km/day is 10 kWh/day (which would be worth about CAD$1/day here, but you know your energy price).

Here's an old discussion in this forum of observed energy consumption:
Actual Wh per mile for your vehicle
Note that many values are provided in Wh per mile, rather than per kilometre; those values would need to be divided by 1.6 if you want values per kilometre.

·
Registered
838 Posts
The values also change a little based on if it is freezing cold out. My old gas car didn't get as much range per gallon in the winter either though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts