DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on a zero-turn mower conversion (thanks to all for your assistance already) and also, of course, dreaming of various others conversion projects.

Next on my list is converting our BCS 2-wheeled tractor to electric (example pic of BCS attached).

I had the good fortune to pickup up several AMD DD0-4002 sepex motors at auction (pics in thread linked above) and while I intend to use two of these motors for my zero-turn mower's wheel drives I'll still have extras. I'm trying to figure out if one of these 6.7" sepex motors is powerful enough to replace a Honda GX340 (11hp nominal) ICE. The output ratings for the similar D&D ES-10E-33 seem convincing but it's not quite the same motor... or is it?

What is the relationship between the AMD DD0-4002 motor and D&D ES-10E-33 motor.

They're dimensionally identical and they look like they're made with the same case parts but the D&D has higher output ratings. What's the deal? How similar are they?

Does D&D rebuild and upgrade stock motors from AMD? Could I possibly get more robust brush-holder or other parts from D&D to upgrade and improve power output of the AMD motor? Or are the motors actually comparable in power output as is?

BONUS QUESTION:
The tractor application does not dictate using sepex, in fact series might be more appropriate, but there's strong appeal to using a motor already in hand. I guess the more obvious question is should I be looking for a 7" series-wound motor for this application as it's mostly torque I need for this application and contactorless reversing and regen are of no use. Is it dumb to use a sepex motor just because I already have it?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
Papa D and a few others (including the plant manager) took designs, customers and likely other things to start Advanced DC Motors when Prestolite shut down the Syracuse factory. Years later, papa D and his gang sold out to AMD. D and D are papa D's two sons. Get the picture?

Actually the motors from Advanced DC and D&D are pretty solid. D was able to do a good job of copying the Prestolite products. They stuck with proven technology and seemingly didn't risk any advanced technology, contrary to company's first name.

To compare the two motors you have, measure the armature core diameter and length, comm size and number of segments (comm bars). Also take the field resistance. Brush size is more important for short time overload ratings.

Regards,

major

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Neat!

I could see that the motors were "closely related" but I didn't realize how valid the term "family resemblance" might be.

It seems like using one of my AMD DD0-4002 motors for the BCS conversion might be an okay idea. I'll just have keep my eyes peeled for an affordable sepex controller or look at other solutions. I know you said that sepex motors don't like contactor starting but maybe I could use fixed field voltage and control the armature with a chopper if that saves me money. Probably just as well to find a sepex controller. I'll have to re-read the various threads about separately exciting the field windings. I know I saw a couple here on the forum.

Thanks again for all the info. There's a nice parallel between my "day-job" world of organic farming and the EV enthusiasts I'm meeting: colossal generosity and a great willingness to share knowledge to help the field as a whole move forward.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts