DIY Electric Car Forums banner

How to build electronic ECU

2271 Views 12 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  HNTNTUR
hello
I have build DC motor based car which can move person on it with batteries now i want to make it engine based please tell how to start it with engine and control with electronic component.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
889 Posts
Internal combustion engine (ICE)
...gas, diesel, steam engine = engine

Electric motors = motor
...NO combustion goin' on

ECU (Electronic Control Unit?)
I think your referring to a speed controller
...look up/do some research on speed controllers
...like, maybe Paul & Sabrina's DIY speed controller (lots of "great info")

· Registered
8,516 Posts
It certainly would help to provide a more clear description of what you want. You have a vehicle which is driven by a DC electric motor; are you now
  1. looking for a different motor speed controller?
  2. wanting to replace the electric motor with an engine?
  3. wanting to add an engine to make the vehicle a hybrid?

Is it one of these, or something else that you are trying to do?

· Registered
36 Posts
What type of motor is that? It's not clear from your question if you're asking about getting an off-the-shelf motor driver (controller) or building you own.
If later, you need a micro-controller, preferably automotive qualified. Then you need to design a schematic/PCB with high-power FETs/IGBTs and write a firmware for everything.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It certainly would help to provide a more clear description of what you want. You have a vehicle which is driven by a DC electric motor; are you now
looking for a different motor speed controller?
wanting to replace the electric motor with an engine?
wanting to add an engine to make the vehicle a hybrid?

Is it one of these, or something else that you are trying to do?
yes i want to replace DC motor by engine petrol or diesel engine.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks - now we know what you are actually asking about.

Since this is a forum for do-it-yourself conversions of vehicle to electric power, and you want to convert from electric power, this seems like the wrong place to ask for help with this.
please explain this
i have seen this

Attachments

· Registered
8,516 Posts
please explain this
You want an engine control unit; this is a forum about electric motor controls... and everything else about electric cars, but not cars with engines.

i have seen this...
Yes, every modern vehicle has an electronic engine control unit, similar to what you see in that image. I think that you should buy one, not try to build one, but it isn't the subject of this forum either way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.