DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to use polypropylene for my battery boxes. How do you cut it? Would a circular saw and a special plastic saw blade work? I know there are plastic specific saw blades out there (such as Tenryu Plasti-Cut) but they don't say they work with polypropylene.

I can buy it pre-cut, but boy is that spendy.

Thank you!

·
Admin: 'one of many'
4,838 Posts
I would have thought that a metal cutting blade on a hand held jigsaw would do for thin sheets or a courser cut blade for aluminium for thicker stuff.
The main thing would be to keep the heat down with a slow blade and feed speed so as not to melt the plastic to the blade or itself after the cut.

Welcome to the forum BTW.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
circular saw works great. makes a mess with tiny chips, but no worse than sawdust. If you make curved cuts w/ sabre saw, use a coarse wood blade and go slow. I found the poly pretty easy to work with... and nice because it is non-conductive and acid-proof.

If you are building boxes with it, invest in a heat welder so you can seal the seams.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Watch out for kick back when using a circular saw or a table saw. The chips can build up and stick together somewhere in the saw and then get tossed out when they get to big. A sharp blade is a must. Too much heat and you you can weld up the same cut your making.

Bob

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the advise. I have a fellow EV'er in town willing to lend me a hot air welder. Onward through the fog!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts