DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Average Joe
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you're interested in seeing this forum thrive, here are a few things you can do to help out:

1) Links. Link to it from your page and encourage others to do so as well.
2) Mention it to others interested in the subject.
3) Bookmark on public sites like del.icio.us
4) Suggest it as a story to EV, Alternative Energy and Green blogs
5) Post any questions you may have
6) Post any quality info you come across.

Thanks for all the help so far. You've all been great! I believe we can get the number of members here up into the thousands and really start making some progress on getting valuable data organized.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I'll post a link on all of my web sites and I'll try to link to this site while I fight with the jerks over at Peakoil.com :)

·
Average Joe
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I added some search engine optimizations to the site in order to help draw in some new users seeking out info and help. Please let me know if you come across any strangeness with the site as a result (or at all!)

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just wanted to post a thanks for the admin/users on this site. Its an excelent site with some great info, my noob questions where answered with no flaming witch is RARE to find on a forum. And the wiki info is a great resource.

Well orginized, good users that are willing to answer questions. Great forum.

·
Average Joe
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Devon,

I think I speak for everyone here when I say that I really appreciate that sentiment. The point of this site is to help get people off the ground with their projects and see the conversions all the way through the end. I'm very happy to hear that you've had a good experience so far and I hope that never changes!

Thanks to all forum members.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm regularly on one other VB (Turbobricks) that evolved from a mailer. We started using VB around '02. Our mailing list was 300 or so when I joined in about '97. We're at 18,500 right now. The high volume of posts got a lot of hits through the search engines so I think keeping traffic up is important. If you Google anything about Volvos going fast, you'll find T-bricks. I found you guys bu searching for DIY EV:rolleyes: Go figure! Once we get some good threads going (like 4-5 pages or more of technical or other relevant stuff), the hits will start coming. You can check out Turbobricks to see how we raise money and organize events and stuff. Also, press releases are good. Somehow, Turbobricks got into The NY Times. Good articles and how tos' get linked and people will recognize a good resource. I'm very happy I found you guys and I'll help in any way I can. I'm going to write something about what I found out about registering an EV conversion in NY State. The next newbee from NY will be really glad he clicked on DIY Electric Car.
Thanks all.

·
Average Joe
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We could really use a few writers to add content to the blog. I'd like to raise awareness for EVs, clean energy and "green" in general. Please PM me if you're willing to write.

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
I think the biggest thing this website needs right now is practicality, we need to know who is doing conversions and who has done them so that new people have practical touchable EVs to look up to.

That's why I'm so excited about the garage feature, i think it will make the site really accessible to everyday people. Also if those people who do have EVs could post their EV album link in their signature it would help in the meantime. Props to kiwi, Coley etc for their public EVs.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I think we need to add a couple of rules to the classifieds. Well, just one rule actually. I don't think that posters should not be allowed to trash-talk a seller's car/motor/parts, etc. It isn't fair to the seller that he be required to constantly defend his ad from people posting nasty and insulting comments.

BTW, I was only joking with the Peak Oil comment.

·
Average Joe
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good idea, those posts should be reported and the admins/moderators can remove them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
There is sooooo much content on this site that I feel I haven't scratched the surface (I've been reading for 2 weeks as time allows when I finally decided to register).

Is there a database of users by postal code etc? A wakeboarding site I used to frequent (OK, I lived on it for a few years :) ) well, they had one and that site grew by leaps & bounds. Even when I traveled for business, 1st thing I would do is post when I would be in what area and people always invited me over to go ride for a day, out for dinner afterwards and even helped a few people with installation problems on their boats. I am still friends with many people from that board and met dozens of locals too.

I don't mind kicking in free labor to a worthwhile cause, even spare material I have etc. My first V8 conversions were done "after hours" at my shop with other like minded people. From my observations, it helps people stay motivated and gets projects finished, which is the ultimate goal.

Just my .02c and if it's already here somewhere, someone do me a favor and point me there already!

·
Average Joe
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's a great idea. I'll look for an add-on that allows for finding people by geographical region.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello there,

I'm new here. This is my first post. I'll put a link to this forum high on my blog to send some traffic here. Looking forward to go through all the great information here.

'Will

1 - 16 of 16 Posts