DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I have been popping on and off of these forums for the past year, Every time coming away with something super helpful :) I wanted to say thanks, Introduce myself, and I wanted to share the project I have been working on.

With myself and my buddy Zach, we have been converting a 1980 Vanagon to electric power over on our youtube channel DreamEV. www.youtube.com/c/dreamev Currently we are up over 25 Episodes where we are walking through all the steps involved. Some are more electric focused, others not so much. I wanted to delay introducing ourselves until we got to some of the more interesting items like HV wiring.

Well, the time is now, We are starting to do some real fun things and I thought it would be good to share. It's my hope that some of you would pop in to watch and learn, and for others to share their experience when we may or may not be doing something correctly.

Our project uses a Tesla small rear drive unit, paired with 12 LG Chem 16S modules each at 2.6kWh batteries giving approximately 32kWh. This combo is controlled by a EV Controls T-1C head unit.

If any of this sounds interesting we would love to have you.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
This sounds like an interesting project. :)

I like the battery case and mounting - nice and tidy. Of course as with any pack hanging below the frame rails, clearance could be an issue in some situations. At least the aluminum C-channels should be effective "rock rails". How much clearance is there (or will there be) from the bottom of the pack to the ground? Or start a build thread and answer there, since it seems likely that there will be other interest.

I assume that you are aware of the other Vanagon project (Yabert's Chevrolet Bolt transplant) and the other Tesla VW van project (Kevin Sharpe's "ICE Breaker").

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks brian_ I will take the compliments :) Its nice that you picked out the features that I designed into the system. I was very much concerned about how low the pack came to the ground, and the C-Chanels were designed as "sliders" of sorts. Hopefully It will prevent any damage in the event we crest over something. I don't think it will ever come to that though, The pack is at the same height as the stock gas tank and well above the lowest suspension components.

Good Idea about the build thread, I will start one now.

As far as the other VW conversions, I did not see these, I will have to look. Primarily I am finding help in builds that share similar electrical systems. I have found posts from snowdog helpful, even some old conversations that you have had with him.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
My only caution about comparing clearance heights is that it really matters where you are in the wheelbase. When you drive over a hump nothing at the axle lines hits - no matter how high the hump - because it just goes up with the tires; as soon as the front tires are over the hump anything in the middle of the wheelbase is back down and potentially hitting the hump. It should be fine in normal use, but off-roading is probably not the ideal application for this setup ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts