DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
This sounds like an interesting project. :)

I like the battery case and mounting - nice and tidy. Of course as with any pack hanging below the frame rails, clearance could be an issue in some situations. At least the aluminum C-channels should be effective "rock rails". How much clearance is there (or will there be) from the bottom of the pack to the ground? Or start a build thread and answer there, since it seems likely that there will be other interest.

I assume that you are aware of the other Vanagon project (Yabert's Chevrolet Bolt transplant) and the other Tesla VW van project (Kevin Sharpe's "ICE Breaker").

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
My only caution about comparing clearance heights is that it really matters where you are in the wheelbase. When you drive over a hump nothing at the axle lines hits - no matter how high the hump - because it just goes up with the tires; as soon as the front tires are over the hump anything in the middle of the wheelbase is back down and potentially hitting the hump. It should be fine in normal use, but off-roading is probably not the ideal application for this setup ;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.