DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2015 e-Golf
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just joined a few days ago, excited to dig deeper. I recently picked up a used e-Golf that I'm working on scooping some weight out of and doing what I can to extend the range with plans to build a new battery for it down the road.

I currently work for an eVTOL company, so here's a pic of our aircraft with two of our electric Pipistrels in formation. :)

Cloud Sky Aircraft Airplane Vehicle

·
Registered
34 Posts
wow very nice!
Good luck with the weight saving, it'll be interesting to see how much the car improves with less stuff inside it. How extreme will you be going? i.e. nothing but two bucket seats and a rudimentary dash inside?!

·
Registered
2015 e-Golf
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow very nice!
Good luck with the weight saving, it'll be interesting to see how much the car improves with less stuff inside it. How extreme will you be going? i.e. nothing but two bucket seats and a rudimentary dash inside?!
Hitting the low hanging fruit first. Went to a lighter rim set (MSW 85T) with Michelin Energy Savers and got up to about 90 miles of range compared to mid 70s before. The battery is at 67% SOH (16.8 kWH usable), so 90 miles as it sits now isn’t horrible. When I first got the car they had a set of 19” Austin GTI rims that were heavy as sin, so probably only marginal gains so far over the stock rims. I’ve been trying to source some ceramic wheel bearings, but I’m not sure how much of a gain I’ll see, or if they’re even worth it cost wise. I’m kicking around the idea of machining a set of polycarbonate or fiberglass wheel covers as well.

I’ve got a set of NRG bucket seats on the way to swap out the stock fronts with. Planning on gutting the entire interior, lowering it (1.75” lowering springs for now, new suspension down the road), also throwing on some smaller more aerodynamic mirrors.

Longer term I’m going to be swapping the windows for a polycarbonate set, swapping fenders/hood/trunk lid for CF/FG parts and taking some time to see what components are heavy that I could machine out of something lighter/more optimized.

I want to end up with a fun auto cross/track day car but also stretch the range a bit. Once I’ve got it torn down and shaken out I’ll start forming a game plan for the battery. We’ll see how it all pans out. 😅

·
Registered
2015 e-Golf
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
What's the weight of your vehicle?

You must be an ecomodder-type driver to get 5 miles per kWh--that is impressive.
Probably pretty close to stock still. The 2015 e Golf only has a 24kWh pack, weight is something like 3100lbs, just about the same as the TDI variant. Though I've seen multiple numbers there, so I have no idea what the exact weight is. I haven't weighed the car, but I'm hoping to before I start stripping it down. It blows my mind how well this thing coasts, I've passed people going downhill without throttle input.

Just dropped it a bit and installed some aero mirrors this weekend. The goal is to get it over 6.5mi/kWh. Just got my seats and harnesses in the mail today, so the mass reduction of weight should be coming over the next few weekends. Need to get an alignment when the springs settle some still.

Vehicle Automotive design Car Audio equipment Personal luxury car
Wheel Tire Cloud Sky Car
Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Car Vehicle Sky

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
At a speed of 34MPH, aero doesn't play very much, so 5.6 is probably about right. What's the consumption at 60mph?

You also don't say if that's in both directions or not. The slightest altitude drop can make a big difference. In one direction, I can show 40miles/kWh in a 3100 pound Bolt...

·
Registered
2015 e-Golf
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
At a speed of 34MPH, aero doesn't play very much, so 5.6 is probably about right. What's the consumption at 60mph?

You also don't say if that's in both directions or not. The slightest altitude drop can make a big difference. In one direction, I can show 40miles/kWh in a 3100 pound Bolt...
Should have expanded on that. It was on a loop starting and ending at my shop, this was before lowering it or adding the mirrors and right after I installed the new wheel set. I'm trying to get a little more efficiency at highway speeds with the aero improvements, but haven't had a chance to run down 89 yet... maybe this week. Most of the roads in that loop are 40-50mph limits with a few stop lights mixed in. It's a pretty good representative of my daily driving, and there's more than a few altitude changes up here in VT, so that plays into it as well. Not exactly scientific, but it works for me.

Regardless, the small improvements will add up and make longer trips a lot more enjoyable and help offset the range loss battery degradation over time. It's been fun so far. :)

·
Registered
2015 e-Golf
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It looks great, i think you're on the right track with the mods to help improve eff. every little bit helps.

i figured you were West of the river, old 10m WB4FFQ
Getting there, it'll be a fun project!

Which river? I'm east of most of them. ;)

I mainly got my ham ticket for R/C and rocketry use, but I've got a handheld I like to listen with. 73 :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts