DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy there!

So, as is the case with most people who only skim the edge of EV or hybrid lifestyle for the sake of saving money with abundant pondering, "research" and the inevitable dismissal of stepping into a new off the lot vehicle (because buying a new vehicle to save money kinda works against itself......), I find myself now thinking of converting an existing vehicle to a hybrid. The idea to look into this topic came to me after realizing afew automakers use a front ICE and rear electric motor set up to achieve their hybrid performance. I thought "surly guys are doing the same thing to their cars". After acouple searches and finding out how some folks are doubling up the EV part of their Prius's to get amazing mileage, I come find very sparse info on afew companies offering DIY kits to fit to your standard everyday car for about $3000! "Oh Boy!", I exclaimed to myself! "This is exactly what I'd want!" trouble is, most articles are about 10 years old and nearly every company mentioned doesn't exist, the site page is down or that company mentioned for making kits seemingly now only sells parts for full EV conversions. And to top it off, I have to wonder why this sort of accessible ability to vamp up your fuel savings isn't the hottest "weekend project" by now?

Maybe the above is alittle messy, sorry about that. The main questions I'd like to discuss are why these kits aren't around "anymore"? And if I'm missing something here, who legitimately offers DIY Hybrid kits for the slightly above average DIY car owner?

Thanks kindly!

Ti

·
Administrator
6,157 Posts
Hi
If you want to save money you are barking up the wrong tree!

Cheapest is to run an old IC car
Next cheapest is a second hand EV

Converting will cost you twice as much as the second hand EV and be half as good

That is all for EV's

Hybrids are worse! - much more difficult - much more expensive - much less benefit

Sorry!

Saving money is not where it's at - converting to an EV is more of a "Hot Rod" option

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
. The idea to look into this topic came to me after realizing afew automakers use a front ICE and rear electric motor set up to achieve their hybrid performance.
One problem is that there is far more to creating a functional hybrid than adding an electric drive unit to the rear of a car with an engine and transaxle in the front. Toyota's hybrids use a completely different transaxle than their non-hybrids; the rear unit is just an add-on for AWD if desired, to a vehicle which is hybrid even in 2WD form. Even in other hybrid systems, which use a conventional transmission, making a hybrid means adding a motor-generator to that engine and transmission, usually placed between them; this is not a reasonable thing to do aftermarket or DIY.

There is at least one add-on parallel hybrid system - using a belt-drive motor stuck on the engine - but it's not very functional compared to a properly integrated design.

A hybrid conversion could be an interesting project, but I agree that it would not be economically viable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts