DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this forum and looking for people who have built, are building, or just interested in a hybrid sports car or similar project.

I'm building a street legal, track capable sports car with home built chassis, mid engine / rear drive ICE, and front drive AC motor, mostly using parts from an Acura donor car.

Currently about 12 - 18 months to completion. Now installing the body, followed by low voltage wiring, EV batteries and coilovers, then road testing.

Be happy to share build details and experiences, get help with EV technical info. or just share with others with a similar interest.

Cheers!

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Welcome! :)

While many people discuss this sort of configuration, and it is well-established in production cars (e.g. BMW i8, Acura NSX), I have yet to see anyone successfully build one themselves. I'm looking forward to seeing the result.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is one I built a couple of years ago, Matra Murena 3-seater, mid engine petrol engine driving rear wheels, AC motor through a Citroen C1 gearbox driving the front wheels. LiPo batteries with Orion BMS. Through the road charging. 2WD BEV or 4WD HEV or 2WD ICEV.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Through the road charging. 2WD BEV or 4WD HEV or 2WD ICEV.
This apparently has no motor-generator in the rear, and thus inefficient through-the-road charging (engine drives rear wheels while front wheels drive motor as generator) and electric-only drive to only the front wheels. It's still an impressive project, but it shows how difficult it is to build a fully functional hybrid of this configuration.

I think if someone wants this mid-engine hybrid configuration and isn't willing to pay for an Acura NSX or similar, the practical approach is to buy a wrecked Toyota transverse-engine AWD hybrid (e.g. Highlander or RAV4) and transplant everything into a mid-engine car (but switching which components are in which end)... that's essentially how Honda builds their NSX and their SUV with similar components.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts