DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me a pointer. Just finishing my build 100v Netgain and Orion BMs plus 5 tesla modules. Seems the current software wont let the Netgain talk to the can network so. When regen kicks in and the cells are almost fully charged it knocks out the charge enable relay on the BMS which is cool. However, it kicks out the discharge relay also throwing a fault code and the car stops. Been told you can go into the tau software and de-rate regen. But can I find it NOPE.

Paul

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I HAVE AN ORION BMS WITH A CHARGE ENABLE RELAY CUTTING OFF THE REGEN ON THE SME via the profije ground. WHICH IT DOES. HOWEVER BECAUSE I HAVE THE SME CONROLLER WIRED THROUGH THE DISCHARGE ENABLE RELAY, THIS ALSO DROPS MEANING THE CAR STOPS. Surely it would be correct for the bms to cease regen and contine to allow the vehicle to Run .
The current software of the sme isnt compatible with the CANBUS on the Orion.

· Registered
136 Posts
I HAVE AN ORION BMS WITH A CHARGE ENABLE RELAY CUTTING OFF THE REGEN ON THE SME via the profije ground. WHICH IT DOES. HOWEVER BECAUSE I HAVE THE SME CONROLLER WIRED THROUGH THE DISCHARGE ENABLE RELAY, THIS ALSO DROPS MEANING THE CAR STOPS. Surely it would be correct for the bms to cease regen and contine to allow the vehicle to Run .
The current software of the sme isnt compatible with the CANBUS on the Orion.
I'm not sure where you've got to with this, but the ACX1 controlller CANNOT accept a CAN message from the Orion to limit regen. IMHO, it's a major flaw with the Netgain SME software. You can use the SME software's 'battery map' to set limits on upper and lower voltages, which should limit the regen pushing the voltage over the maximum specified in the battery map in conjuction with the charge current limit you set in the Orion software, but, this only works if the battery is at the top of its charge (so near 100% SOC). I think this is what you need to set.

The problem I think you have is that if the Orion detects regen when it wants the Charge Enable contacter open (ie blocking any current flowing into the battery) it will throw a general protection fault which opens ALL the safety relays (ie the discharge enable as well) and that will stop everything stone dead.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.