DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 11" motor from a Hyster forklift (model 325744) that has a broken cooling fan. I'm not sure if it was cracked when I got it or if I damaged it, but during disassembly a chunk of the cooling fins came off (photo below).

Any suggestions on where I could find a replacement part or how to fix this? Is it even possible to remove the fan from the armature?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
Typically fans like that are non serviceable. Expert service shops can remove and reinstall them. Fans are pressed fit over a knurled area on shaft. The fan blades aren't strong enough to use a gear puller. Heating the fan hub with torch might work. Since your fan is trashed you might cut/split it's hub with chisel or saw or die-grinder.

Check forklift repair shops for possible replacement. Or run without fan. You can use an external blower with ducting. After armature refurb, get it balanced.

Or take the armature as is to a motor rebuild shop and let them handle it. Looks like it can use serious attention anyway, like on a lathe, comm turning, undercut, etc.

Good luck,
major

edit: Taking another look at the photo, comm may be useable as is. If you can use a dial indicator for run-out and distortion with inspection as to surface damage. Condition appears to me like it is functional.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, major!

I'm doing research into motor rebuild shops around the Salt Lake City area and will likely go that direction if the costs aren't too crazy. Otherwise, I'll give removing it a shot and see what happens. Ducting sounds like it might be the route to go for this one.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have several of these motors and yes the fan is removable...
Check with Warfield electric in Conyers GA. They should have this fan for you

1 - 4 of 4 Posts