Discussion Starter · #201 ·
the goal is to shove one end into a more civilized Anderson connector

Wood Rectangle Font Red Hardwood

Wood Circuit component Cable Hardwood Wood stain

Wood Circuit component Cable Household hardware Hardwood

·
Registered
85 Posts
Flatness is a possibility, but possibly cost saving as well. Doubling up on a smaller diameter conductor that's more easily sourced or cheaper still results in enough room for the electrons to run.

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #205 · (Edited)
equipped with only the finest tools, I decided to take a deeper dive into one of the cell modules

Rectangle Wood Bumper Office supplies Automotive exterior

I'm guessing the thin yellow wires with the red dots at the ends are some sort of temperature sensors?

Musical instrument Musical instrument accessory Wood Office equipment Auto part

Automotive lighting Electronic component Auto part Metal Fashion accessory

Musical instrument Wood Office equipment Musical instrument accessory Office supplies

I'm guessing the thin yellow wires with the red dots at the ends are some sort of temperature sensors?

Electronic component Wood Gadget Musical instrument accessory Fashion accessory

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #207 ·
it was nice of these plastic pliers to show up right after I shot the last battery video, cause you know, safety third

Property Plant Blue Purple Wood

Road surface Asphalt Flooring Floor Rectangle

Hand tool Snips Pliers Pruning shears Wire stripper

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·
so after starring at the innards of one of the cell modules I came up with this summary, basically it's a 16S1P configuration, in English 16 cells connected in Series so we add up all the individual cell voltages (3.66v) by connecting them (positive to negative or negative to positive it does not matter how you look at it) to get just under 60 volts, 58.56 to be exact

and 1P is just a formality as they are really a single strand in Parallel so we do not add up the Amp Hours aka Ah to increase the capacity (they are 26 Ah so they stay at 26 Ah, had that been 2P than we would add 26 plus 26 (by connecting them positive to positive and negative to negative) and double the capacity to 52 Ah) more on all of this later, later

Automotive lighting Font Automotive tire Drink Audio equipment

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #210 ·
In the video below I use a Teensy microcontroller board with a CAN Bus transceiver to run Tom de Bree's specialized version of his SimpBMS called BMWPhevBMS to get a voltage reading of each of the individual 96 cells in the BMW 530e plug in hybrid battery pack.

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
so after starring at the innards of one of the cell modules I came up with this summary, basically it's a 16S1P configuration...
Yep.
Wondering what the cells were I did a bit of searching and stumbled across the BMW Canada listing for the 26 Ah modules as replacement parts: $1,362.94 CAD each. The later 34 Ah modules are $1,795 CAD each. Ouch.

A listing for a digital model of the cell itself provides some details; those connections in the photo look like they are welded down onto the top of prismatic cells, and that appears to be true (the digital model listing shows the cut-off remains a interconnect strip still welded to the cell). The cell specs of 734 W (continuous) and 988 W (peak) imply whole pack capabilities of 70.5 kW (continuous) and 94.8 kW (peak).

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
That plastic Harbor Fright tarp is a massive source of electrical charge that can damage electronics...
Anti-static mats for work surfaces tend to be pretty small - any suggestions for something scaled to this case? Perhaps bond the battery case to a mat holding the other components?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Nothing at all is better than using materials that generate high amounts of charge...that tarp material is the next best thing to cat fur rubbing on your hair 😂

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #215 ·
so I recently saw this eBay listing for individual BMW 330e, 530e, 740e, and X5 battery packs (yes they are all the same*), though expensive, it is nice to see them get some recognition, you know like them Tesla Leafs and such what not

* they are all the same provided you get them from the same generation as there is at least two generations of these packs, more on this .... way later!

Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Software

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
so I recently saw this eBay listing for individual BMW 330e, 530e, 740e, and X5 battery packs (yes they are all the same*), though expensive, it is nice to see them get some recognition, you know like them Tesla Leafs and such what not

* they are all the same provided you get them from the same generation as there is at least two generations of these packs, more on this .... way later!
The modules are likely the same; the packs (six modules in a case, forming the complete battery) are specific to the vehicle model.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Mixing and matching "packs" [modules] is risky unless you know their capacity.

The seller clearly doesn't understand that modules are worth a lot less than a pack unless the seller puts in the effort to (these are priced at Tesla levels) characterize the module. The hybrid pack, similarly is worth a lot less if someone needs to assemble a pack (@gregski) from more modules than are in a pack.

The buyer (@gregski seems to be waltzing down this garden path) runs the risk of buying a lot of mismatched boat anchors (and 11/32 plywood 😂 ) if they build a pack out of these individual modules, or has to find another sucker for those boat anchors on eBay...

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #218 ·
Ah Yeah! The Crimpulator 3000 is here! not bad for $32 bones on AMAZON

Brown Blue Wood Purple Door

Rectangle Wood Flooring Shipping box Font

Motor vehicle Bullet Ammunition Plastic Wood

Tool Bicycle part Automotive exhaust Automotive wheel system Automotive exterior

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #219 · (Edited)
and so we got to work on my test battery cables, I decided to add a little color coding to the two solid orange main leads, first some black heat shrink tubing went on both ends of the negative cable

for this I needed a bunch of yellow tools

Wood Composite material Font Wire Electrical supply

Wood Rectangle Cable Electrical supply Fashion accessory

Material property Everyday carry Wood Jewellery Fashion accessory

Wood Tire Office supplies Liquid Flooring

Wood Cable Rectangle Gadget Flooring

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
For those eating a bag of popcorn at home, the abrasion shield stays loose on the outside of the cable/heatshrink or it doesn't do its job well.

201 - 220 of 241 Posts