DIY Electric Car Forums banner
221 - 240 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
and here is what the six cell modules look like all connected just the way they were inside the pack

Note the short orange wire on the far right, that's was the original main Positive lead that came off of Cell Module # 6, I decided to replace it with the same orange wire that runs from Cell Module # 1 on the left (that is what the original looked like) so now both leads match

One lead was originally shorter than the other. BMW did that because the leads ran to the Safety Box which was located on the right side of the battery pack closer to Cell Module # 6

Circuit component Wood Electronic component Electrical wiring Cable

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 ·
and here is the completed test DC wire harness with an Anderson SB120 connector in red for testing charging, I believe this one is rated for 120 amps and the max we can flow through it with the Tesla charger is only 45 amps

Wood Cable Magenta Electronic device Electrical supply

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #227 ·
here is the BMW 530e battery pack hooked up to a Tesla Model S Gen 2 onboard charger for some test charging

YES, the wife INSISTED I do this in the comfort of our fine dinning room, so who was I to refuse her wishes

Wood Table Flooring Floor Circuit component

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #229 ·
this is the OEM BMW 530e Battery Management electronics SME? aka Master BMS module

Part # 7536514-09 (maybe ?)

Gadget Office equipment Electronic instrument Font Gas

Peripheral Gadget Laptop accessory Electronic device Cable

Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Product Vehicle Automotive design

Font Number Rectangle

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #230 ·
and these are the SP06 battery pack six BMS slave modules, numberized and layed out(in as installed(ish) formation

Part # 8482940-02

Musical instrument accessory Camera accessory Bumper Luggage and bags Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Rectangle Auto part

Rectangle Grille Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #231 ·
Free Range 2018 BMW 530e Battery Management electronics SME aka Battery Management System BMS

Rectangle Wood Communication Device Gadget Material property

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #232 ·
spit ballin' some battery pack formations

this is the Upside Down Cake design

Wood Flooring Floor Gas Hardwood

just a look from the other side to show how the cell modules are connected

Wood Floor Material property Flooring Gas

then we stack the second layer on top, this one right side up, planning on using the T aluminum and L aluminum brackets in between the six modules

Wood Electrical wiring Cable Gadget Wire

Luggage and bags Bag Wood Cable Electrical wiring

Musical instrument accessory Wood Electronic instrument Electrical wiring Audio equipment

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #233 ·
so I'm just one cable short to link them all although I show two short leads extra here, I am using the #6 main positive lead as one of the links (to join modules 2 and 3)

Luggage and bags Bag Circuit component Wood Electrical wiring

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Have @Gregs-Nemesis go fetch those Beemer cooling plates for you before you achieve critical mass while charging that spitball layout.

It would be nice if you gave everybody an idea where all this Lego playtime is going wrt the 72 pickup truck.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Is there any indication that these would make for pretty high power density modules for high horsepower applications?

This could be a way cheaper and more accessible alternative than the 60.8v LG chem bricks that ev west stopped selling in that case.

Also I imagine it's better to bite the bullet and just use an external BMS like Orion or aem ev rather than trying to make bmw proprietary BMS code/hardware do what you want

·
Registered
186 Posts
Also did you happen to get some dimensions at some point? I'm wondering what the kWh per cubic inch values look like.

It seems like, from wrecking yards on car-part, it's about $1500 for a pack usually, and those are the 9.1kwh max packs, which puts it at about $165 per kWh, Which puts you at $6600 for a 40kwh total, 32kwh usable pack, made of 26 modules which is quite a few unfortunately.

Given the weight of a full module is 27.7 lbs, and the capacity is 1.5 per module, that's about 18.5 lbs per kWh, which is unfortunately worse than the LG chem bricks ( about 14.5 lbs/kWh) and of course Tesla modules (10.4 lbs/kWh)

So depending on the max discharge rate, these end up being a somewhat more economical alternative to the LG chem bricks, since those are almost impossible to find now by comparison. You pay for that economy and availability with a lot of extra modules you have you fit around....

Hence why I ask..... What are the dimensions?

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
The weight and proportions of the modules look roughly like the typical VDA 355 standard module. Are they 355 mm x 151 mm x 108 mm (14" x 6.1" x 4.25")?

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #239 ·
Also I imagine it's better to bite the bullet and just use an external BMS like Orion or aem ev rather than trying to make bmw proprietary BMS code/hardware do what you want
Tom de Bree has already developed a version of his SimpBMS called BMWPhevBMS available for download on his GitHub

this is his Teensy based expansion board, the beauty of his design is that SimpBMS works with the OEM slave boards.

Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Microcontroller Electronic engineering

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #240 ·
in this video I talk about why I chose the Tesla Model S Gen 2 onboard charger to charge these batteries with

221 - 240 of 241 Posts