DIY Electric Car Forums banner
81 - 100 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
and here it is in action, note how all we have is a battery providing low voltage to power up the logic board, the charger itself is not plugged in to the wall ie AC power on the left hand side in the pic

Circuit component Wood Electronic instrument Electrical wiring Hardware programmer

Circuit component Electronic instrument Wood Gadget Electrical wiring

note the red LEDs on our custom after market Open Inverter circuit charger logic board PCB (the red card is a WiFi card ie wireless network card)

Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Audio equipment Electronic instrument

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
What's your thinking behind switching the negative on and off but leaving the power wire hot in a negative ground car?
less chance for sparks than trying to clip on the alligator clips on the battery post each and every time I want to power up the thing, and this is for the test setup, and aren't all modern cars negative ground, the only "positive ground" car I can think of is a Polish Skoda I think

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
For bench/floor testing it doesn't matter. Your hardwood floor is likely sitting on ground 🥴

I can foresee noobs following this thread and hooking the charger up in their cars by switching the negative wire by inference to your test setup, which is why I asked.

In a car, practice is that power is switched on and off using the positive power feed, since the negative return is usually through a hardwired chassis ground.

Putting the switch on the positive side moves your sparks to inside the switch just as does a negative side switch.

What you're doing is seemingly arbitrary and ok, it works, but it's inconsistent with installation practices.

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 · (Edited)
How we communicate with the Charger using the aftermarket circuit board depends on which version of the board we have. If we purchased an earlier one we use an USB cable, if we purchased a later one ver 5 we connect to it wirelessly using WiFi like so

first I look for a new Wireless Network (it may have some obscure name like ESP_8DB9B3) to advertise itself and pop up in my list of Wireless Connections on my Laptop, desktop computer, iPhone, iPad, or Android Tablet, you get the idea, anything with a browser, use your toaster if it has an Internet Browser on it, ha ha

and yes I did call my home network Network Not Found how brilliant is that

Font Screenshot Software Electronic device Multimedia

Computer Circuit component Netbook Hardware programmer Laptop

Computer Laptop Personal computer Netbook Touchpad

Computer Laptop Personal computer Netbook Output device

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
then you type 192.168.4.1 in the web browser to take you to the webpage running on that tiny little red WiFi card

Product Rectangle Azure Font Operating system

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
at this time I would like to acknowledge the founder of the Open Inverter Organization and the inventor of the site/menu we are about to use Johannes Hübner There are a couple reasons why I think it is important to acknowledge and thank this gentleman, first he spent over a decade reverse engineering stuff so that we can benefit from it, second he is openly sharing all this information with the world, so that folks like me and you can benefit from it for free, and thirdly, knowing who he is and what he developed will help you with the big picture when you start seeing similarities between the menu used to configure your charger and the menu used to configure your Vehicle Control Unit aka the VCU.

Forehead Cheek Smile Glasses Chin

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
well then on to the site, yup there's his name up there up top Huebner Inverter Management Console see how it says Inverter yet we use it for the Charger, that's because it is a brilliantly designed universal menu, more on that later

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Electronic device

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
so this site has that very simple Craigslist look and feel, however intuitive (simple and easy to use) it is not, so let me give you some pointers, it is basically for the most part a single page design, and when you click the Menu items on the top the links just drop you further down on the same page just taking you directly to that section if you will

there are a ton of items, menus, and buttons on this page, but we will concern ourselves with two sections to start out with

and the first one is Parameters (pronounced: Settings) this is where we INPUT our settings, we enter or configure stuff in this section

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Software

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 · (Edited)
and here is the entire Parameters section, we concern ourselves with the bottom half, so yes I love the simple basic late 90s web page design however I hate the none intuitive labels, and this is not a knock on Johannes by any means, I think he is pulling this information from the Charger and that's possibly how they come through aka cryptic

For an explanation of what these values mean I suggest visiting the Parameters section on the Open Inverter Wiki (I will go over the critical ones later on when we are actually charging a battery) at this time this is just a light primer of how to navigate this page/menu.

Note: all this code can be modified if you want to take your project to the next level, you can change anything and everything on this web page, but that is too advanced for this discussion at this time.

Rectangle Font Line Parallel Screenshot

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
the second section I would like to bring to your attention is called Spot Values (pronounced: Output) this is where we can View the data returned to us from the Charger, you can think of it as Monitoring section so that we can see what the hewk is going on in real time

and once again clicking the Spot Values at the very top on the Menu will simply just drop us down further down on the page to the Spot Values section

Rectangle Product Font Slope Screenshot

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
think of Spot Values as the OUTPUT Section where the Charger show's us how it is configured or what is going on with it at the moment

again the labels suck and I don't know what half of them mean, however I could not find a link to a Wiki anywhere where it takes a deeper dive into what they are, some I'm sure are the same as the Parameters above

Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Screenshot

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 · (Edited)
here is a bird's eye view of my basic setup for 120 volt 15 amp single power module play around with charging,

Note: we are not charging the battery in the picture, we use it as a power source to power on the logic board in the charger

Circuit component Gadget Electricity Electronic engineering Electronic component

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 · (Edited)
decided to give the Anderson connectors a try (AMAZON $14 bucks), going with the gray 50 AMP 6 AWG on the AC side (to ensure the three into 1 positive and negative charger leads fit in the connector), may use a smaller gauge on the white cord side, learning about these connectors as I go

this should allow me to swap between the white 120 volt cord and the gray 240 volts plug quickly and easily and connect to all three modules, again not for long term charging but just for the testing phase of the EV Conversion

Packing materials Packaging and labeling Carton Rectangle Font

Wood Data storage device Font Computer data storage Hardwood

Wood Hardwood Rectangle Varnish Font

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 · (Edited)
also going to try one of these cheap crimping tools, not a big fan and my expectations are really low (also AMAZON $24 bucks) they already look like a returned and resold items, so that's a good sign! not

Wood Shipping box Door Flooring Floor

Wood Rectangle Font Hardwood Wood stain

Pliers Hand tool Wood Office supplies Snips

Tool Wood Utility knife Knife Blade

Bicycle part Material property Auto part Font Carbon

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
so this will allow me to switch from the 120 volt to the 240 volt cord easily on the AC side

Wood Cable Composite material Wire Auto part

Data transfer cable Cable Wire Electrical supply Usb cable

Wood Cable Electronic component Plastic Composite material

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 · (Edited)
pics of the concept for the AC side using a gray Anderson SB50 connector, I may bolt this to the actual case of the charger, IDK

Wood Gadget Electrical wiring Cable Electrical supply

Gadget Wood Cable Electronic device Wire

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 · (Edited)
the DC side is a bit busier as we need to include some fuses to protect the battery from going Boom

if we take a step back and think about this, the AC side where Alternating Current comes in from the "wall" to our charger, is protected by a circuit breaker, be it a 15 amp for the 120 volt connection or a 20 amp circuit breaker for a 240 volt connection, these live in what is called a service panel (medium sized metal box) on the side of our homes in the United States

so those circuit breakers protect our Tesla charger from going Boom, but what happens after the charger takes that alternating current and brews up some direct current for us to send to the battery pack, what stops it from sending a huge rush of it?

Font Machine Rectangle Multimedia Electronics accessory

81 - 100 of 146 Posts