DIY Electric Car Forums banner
121 - 140 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
It's nice your doing this in the front of the house in the dining room, cuz your wifi reaches any car parked at the curb. Password didn't work...two "m" or three?

With that, I looked it up on OpenInverter:

Connecting to the Web interface
Depending on the version of your Olimex wifi dongle they are "open" or you need a password to connect.

By default you can connect to the network (Acces Point) and browse to: 192.168.4.1

By default all charger kits will have SSID : charger PASSWORD : charger123

Note: Its recommend that you change it. No body wants to drive and have some joker with a phone finding this information and accesing your charger
---

Sure enough, you were kidding around and the pw was the default, charger123.

Will wait til 3am before I turn your charger up to 11.

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 · (Edited)
first I want you to ignore that entire top section right below the Parameter heading, as it is simply clutter for now (and I will manually crop it out in future screen shots for proper learnability)

Rectangle Font Software Parallel Slope

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
so that leaves us with this, what I call the Dirty Dozen (yes 0 through 11 adds up to 12, ha ha)

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Slope

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
there are some things I really like about this interface (simple Craigslist like design) and there are some things left to be desired, (I'm looking at you cryptic parameter Names) and if I had to change things, I would reorder this list somewhat and put #7 first, ie inputype or Input Type

at the moment / starting off we will only concern ourselves with Manual mode, this means we can use a regular 120 volt power cord or a washer/dryer 240 volt power cord to charge and we don't need the J1772 cable, the charger will ignore the lack of Proximity signal from the J1772 socket as well as the Control Pilot signal from the same.

Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Screenshot

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 · (Edited)
worth mentioning is the default timelim Time Limit of 5 minutes. The logic board arrives with an unregistered version of the software on it (pronounced: "free version") it has a built in charging limit of only 5 minutes after which time the charging shuts off (though the Web interface continues running so you can still play with the settings). You can read up on the OpenInverter.org Wiki page about the Registration process which will lead you to the OpenInverter Web Shop where you can obtain the Tesla™ Charger/PCS Firmware Key for roughly $27 bucks.

this limit is a blessing and a curse for when you are starting out with the charger, it prevents us Newbs from overheating that box since it is supposed to be liquid cooled and I doubt any of us have wired up an electric water pump to it at this point, the downside is that sometimes right as you think you got the settings dialed in the darn thing decided to turn off, ha ha

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 · (Edited)
OH REALLY, PLEASE TELL ME MORE
before the days of Shark Tank the best inventors could do is have crap named after themselves.

So we have a French dude named André-Marie Ampère to thank for the amp and since by definition, an ampere is the intensity of an electric current. The conventional symbol for current is I, which originates from the French phrase intensité du courant, (current intensity).​
Not to be outdone and Italian named Alessandro Giuseppe Antonio Anastasio Volta had the volt named in his honor. and now for a bit of a stretch, since "U" stands for Unterschied, which in German means "difference"; very fitting since voltage is obviously the same as potential difference.​

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
so if we look at #1 iaclim (pronounced: "amps of alternating current limit") we get a first hand experience of those horrible labeling conventions I complained about earlier, regardless this is what we will be pulling in from the "wall" into the Tesla charger

Note how the default value reads 16, for those of us in the Independent States of America that is a bit odd, we were conditioned to believe our common 110/120 volt outlets run on 15 amps. and yes that is very true, I believe that since this web interface was written in Europe it applies the European standard which happens to be 16 amps

So in the US we could set ours to 15 or better yet for safety and knowing that our 15 amp circuit breakers are designed to happily run at 80% capacity (15 amps x 80% = 12 amps) I like to set mine to 12, and since this is split among the three power modules and being anal retentive I like to use numbers divisible by three, so 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, etc...

Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Software

Rectangle Font Screenshot Number Pattern

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 · (Edited)
#2 idcspnt amps of direct current setpoint (this value is spread across the three power modules) so if leave this set to the default of 45 amps, each module will push 15 amps to the battery pack, nice!

per the OpenInverter.org Wiki

DC charge current limit. An additional limit to charge power. It is also mapped to the CAN bus so if you have a BMS that calculates a maximum charge current you can forward this to the charger.

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Software

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
so jumping to #5 udclim (voltage of direct current limit) if you will, this is what voltage you want the battery pack to reach to shut off the charger, in my case the default of 398 volts, wonderfully matches my SP06 BMW 530e high voltage battery pack specs perfectly, so I may just leave it on that.

WARNING: I am about to say something controversial here, and yes thumb wars have been fought over this, so allow me to explain before you beat me up too much.

All batteries can be charged to 100%.

There I said it. However, doing so cuts down on their lifespan. For example:
  • if I charge this battery to 100% (398 volts) every time I can only get 1,000 cycles out of it, meaning I can only charge it 1,000 times.
  • But if I only charge it to 90% capacity say 392 volts I can get 2,000 cycles out of it, so 2,000 charges.
  • And if I am even more conservative and only charge it to 80%, I may get 4,000 cycles out of it, so I would be able to charge it 4,000 times

Life is short, I don't even buy green bananas, so....

Font Parallel Number Screenshot Rectangle

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
With that cheapass multimeter of yours, you have no idea if you have 440V or 360V or 398V.

So, no...YOU cannot charge to full pack voltage unless YOU have a fully functional, and calibrated, meter or BMS.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Shelf life is also an inverse function of SoC. Just sitting there at 100% SoC sucks the life out of the cells.

Put your ear to your modules and you'll hear tiny voices' desperate pleas for help to escape from your torture & abuse

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
so back to #4 udcspnt (Volts of Direct Current setpoint) think of this like your oven setting, so when you go to bake something you set it to 350° F and the oven keeps it there and does not fluctuate

I'm just going to try it at my batteries max setting of 398, cause it would be illogical to make this lower than udclim as I would never hit full charge

Note this one is in Minneapolis units of measurement

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
so I made this little visual cause you know, I'm really good in MS Paint, ha ha

Product Font Watch Rectangle Parallel

121 - 140 of 146 Posts