DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I have over 30 years in mechanical design this is my first attempt at designing and building an electric vehicle. I joined this forum to learn from people experienced in this field.
That being said I believe that I could be of assistance to those people who do not have the equipment or experience to design and fabricate the various spacers, adapters, brackets and sheet metal parts to complete their projects.
You may contact me online or @:

Charles J Brooks
Brooks Design Services
2319 Perryton Dr
Dallas, TX 75224
(214) 697-2281 ph
(214) 330-9719 fx

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm retaining my clutch in my conversion and one item that has to be fabricated is the motor / flywheel hub. If I send some drawings/measurements to you think you might machine a 2 piece taper lock drive?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably. Fax me the drawings and notes @214 330 9719 or e-mail me your information @ [email protected] and I will review, contact you with any questions, and get you a quote.
The PT Cruiser sounds like a very classy platform for a conversation.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think everybody will be looking for a capable person that can create adapter plates that don't charge $900 for a $25 piece of metal. Even at just under $500, it would be a plus. :)

·
Registered
408 Posts
I think everybody will be looking for a capable person that can create adapter plates that don't charge $900 for a $25 piece of metal. Even at just under $500, it would be a plus. :)
the reason many charge high rates for adapter plates is that locating the center point of the input shaft relative to the transmission bellhousing bolt pattern isn't a tape-measure-and-guesswork job - fractions of an inch out, and there can be nasty vibrations that will shake your car to pieces. A proper adapter plate should also have milled holes for locating dowels and threaded bolt holes where the OEM engine block was threaded, etc.

Once someone has invested that much time and energy into designing a precision tolerance part, then made the CAD file, cut a slab of aluminum on a waterjet table, then machined the holes and installed the OEM dowels, they want to be sure they make back enough in low volume sales to make it worth their while.

I agree that $900 is on the high side, but $25 is an extreme under-valuation.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I didn't imply that it was worth $25. Only the metal, and I would never think that someones time investment is worth nothing. I just think that
$900 plus is too pricey for the segment they are selling to.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I didn't imply that it was worth $25. Only the metal, and I would never think that someones time investment is worth nothing. I just think that
$900 plus is too pricey for the segment they are selling to.
In that case, I apologise for misunderstanding you. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts