DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this motor and want to build an electric go cart for the kids and learn about it as i go. I plan on converting one of my VW cars in the future but figured i would get some experience on a small scale. i found this motor and picked it up for cheap. but i cant seem to find any specs. i called and they could not tell me the rpm. just asking for opinions. i was planning on pushing 18V to it with 3x6v golf cart batteries for a 2 person go cart. Car Hauler Parts - Electric Hydraulic Totally Enclosed Pump Motor - OK FOR OUTDOOR USE - Part#: 170-009-0001B - Replaces Cottrell 75063 & Advanced AL4-4001A. Cottrell Parts (Blue Option) - - Amazon.com
Thanks for any advice.

·
Super Moderator
1,342 Posts
It probably won't have an RPM. It's probably a Series-Wound DC Motor.

If so...

It continuously accelerates at almost any voltage. You vary the voltage you feed it to balance the acceleration against the drag on the car (sounds complicated but it's the same as you do with a gas pedal on a normal car, there is no "speed" at a certain amount of pedal push, the speed you are travelling depends on a combination of things, you just push the pedal more to go faster, hold it steady wherever it is to stay the same speed).

To get a ballpark for gearing, that motor is probably fine to 5000 RPM, something around there.

I can only see 2 terminals. Normally there would be 4 terminals, 2 of which you connect to each other to determine the direction it spins. In this case, it's likely connected those two internally, and you might be able to open it and see, or to cut that cable and extend it outwards (it's 2 sets of coils, each should have wires, but internally 2 are connected rather than you connecting those two externally). Else, you can't get that motor to change direction. This is because its use case is as a pump motor, and a pump motor never needs to reverse direction. You can flip the polarity you feed it, and it'll still turn the same direction. You could still mechanically reverse, but, that's a bit silly.

At 18v most of that motor will be wasted, it won't turn very fast. It's probably designed for at least 24, if not 36 or 48v. It will work, but it'll be weak and slow compared to what it's capable of.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts