DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 2000 Alfa Romeo 156 and I'm thinking about converting to EV.
Also my brand new Hyundai IONIQ electric is to be deliverd in 2 or 3 weeks, so im really into EV's now :)

If I really will do this, a couple things will be very important:
First of all, BUDGET. I know, cant be done without a budget, but I think I can, and I'm very hardheaded. (inspired by http://https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8sR7IAMOHKV-S_oz3JH3qw

Second, by registring to the forum, I was asked to make this topic containing:

Your skill level with auto mechanics and fabrication
The range you are hoping to get (how many miles/charge)
What level of performance you are hoping to get
How much money you are willing to put into your project
What parts you've already considered, if any.

I have always done the car maintence myself, even changed a motor once.
Hoping to get 120km/h 70mph and 75 km range or so...
Money? thinking 1000-1500 in Euros
And just started thinking about conversion, not even dicided to go thru.

Any tips are welcome, parts too :)

Oh, and i live in The Netherlands,
Any further questions, feel free to ask.

Kind regards

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think you are about to get a rude awakening, an EV conversion today is not like dropping in a different engine. 1500 euros is about enough to convert your existing systems to electric (think power steering, vacuum brakes, DC/dc converter to reduce your main battery pack to run the 12v system you already have) then all you need is a motor/plate to adapt it to to your transmission, battery, charging system/ charger (on board and a supply system), controller and a way to get it to talk nicely. I think at worst you are off by a factor of 10, at best a factor of 5. A cheaper option os to buy a conversion already done and swap in the whole system. Don't expect the greatest components though. I blew your budget on an on board charger. Theres a lot of components required to do a conversion, not just the motor.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts