DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to start building my first EV! I've got a Suzuki gs 1100 frame and i want t get this right, I'd like to get some feedback and ideas concerning my decisions before I start spending alot of $$$.

I want to use 6 12V 50ah AGM batteries to power a 48-80v 300a 7500rpm motor with a Curtis 1236 ac controller.

does this sound about right? I want a nice balance of range and power, I don't need to go much faster than hwy speeds.

Can any one help?:confused:

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
You do choose the AC-9, AC-12 or AC-15 motor/controller kit?

This kind of AC motor isn't a bad choise, but I think you can have more torque / power and similar range for less money with DC motor / controller.

Some exemple of 72v motor / contoller kit:

-ADC K91-4003 motor (780$) or D-D ES-15-6 motor (670$) + Alltrax AXE-7245 (580$) = Around 30hp for 1250$

-Rebuild forklift motor (100-200$) + cheap Kelly KD72500 (400$) = 20-25hp for 500$

-Kit 9C from EVdrives.com (motor, controller, contactor, throttle) = 1330$

But the weakest link will be the battery, so I think it's will be a good idea to buy a cheaper drive systems (motor / controller) and put your money in battery.
Take this 1000-1500$ save for the drive systems to buy some battery with better energy density and power capability.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
The Curtis AC controllers are pretty nice little units, with emphasis on little. The GS1100 is an awesome bike, but it's a big one. If you have your heart set on AC I'd spring the few extra dollars for the larger 1238 controller. Don't forget to buy (or borrow) the programmer to set up the Curtis AC controllers.

I'd also strongly recommend going with lithium iron phosphate (LFP) cells rather than AGM. There just isn't a lot of room on even a large bike like the GS1100 to stow a bunch of (heavy!) lead batteries. You REALLY don't want to raise the center of gravity, either, which is almost inevitable if you try to cram 6 AGM batteries onto the frame.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Thats a good bike to work with, large frame. Wasn't that an inline 4? Should be plenty wide.

The AC-15/18/20 series of motors are what you're going to want to look at if you want AC. Benefits are Regnerative braking, lower maintenance than a series motor, higher efficiency and a comparable amount of torque to a series wound. I think all of those motors I mentioned are 80ftlbs or higher.

I'd also get the higher voltage one, more flexibility.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I am about to start building my first EV! I've got a Suzuki gs 1100 frame and i want t get this right, I'd like to get some feedback and ideas concerning my decisions before I start spending alot of $$$.

I want to use 6 12V 50ah AGM batteries to power a 48-80v 300a 7500rpm motor with a Curtis 1236 ac controller.

does this sound about right? I want a nice balance of range and power, I don't need to go much faster than hwy speeds.

Can any one help?:confused:

- Try to look through as many links as possible, like this one:http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/want-build-ev-do-starti-6441.html

- Stay away from Lead Acid batteries (AGM), LiFPO4 cost a little more, where (LiFPO4 = AGM cost + some $ = range and less :eek:)

- DIY always saves $$$$, look at our website.

Hope this helps.:)
-Youri.
1-ev.com

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I decided on AGM over lith. ion because they are safer and less complicated, and i like the idea of regenerative braking and a lot of control over speed torque and acceleration, cost isn't as much of an issue as making sure i have enough power and range without to much power and no range. thank you for your help.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Reconsider Lead Acid, just read what you can before making a decision. There are many benefits with Lifepo4, and you don't have to spend an arm and a leg to get them.

IMHO, Lifepo4 can take the regen a little better, and they're much lighter. If you go lead, don't expect to get more than 30 or so miles with Lead acid on a bike, at least unless you want it to be very heavy.

Read, read and read some more.

See what I've done www.evfr.net

1 - 9 of 9 Posts