DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really lack a full understanding of motor controllers other than just a very rudimentary explanation about how they accept battery power and convert it to a signal for the motor to use.

There are good, in-depth, stickies in some other sections but nothing for Controllers. If anyone can point me in the direction to some great (but not overly-complex) reads I'd appreciate it.

Here's a simple question in the meantime:

What would happen if you fed a controller far more voltage from the battery than what it was designed for? Would it simply refuse to do anything? Would it operate only at the max voltage it could handle? Would it explode with me inside and provide my family with a hefty insurance check?

There are several new AC motors with matching controllers that would work for my build but they are 120-144V and my battery pack is 360-400V. I'm wondering what would happen if I removed all of the factory controller, ecu, etc and just wired up this newer motor as if it were a standard conversion like any other. How fast do you think it would go up in smoke?

·
Administrator
6,157 Posts
The controller is the voltage limited part

If you feed it too much a sophisticated one will go into a sulk and shut down - a less sophisticated one will blow up

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The controller is the voltage limited part

If you feed it too much a sophisticated one will go into a sulk and shut down - a less sophisticated one will blow up
Good to know! Looks like it may be easier for me to re-wire the entire battery module or replace it outright than it would be to swap motors/controller!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts