DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Does anyone have any pics available of I-PACE 4P3S battery module assembly?
I may get a Jag battery here... 90kWh! But i will need to rewire those cell modules. Does anyone have any pic on how those modules look on the inside? I need to know if cells can be disassembled from 4P3S configuration to say 2P3S. If they are assembled by bolts or welded... I need to prepare on what is possible.

tnx

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
I can only guess that the pouch cell tabs are welded together, because that's how modules of pouch cells are always done.

I'm sure that the parallel connections (of groups of four cells) are at the lowest level, with the resulting groups being connected in series (3 groups in a module), because that's the only rational way to do it. That is usually written as 3S4P... the lowest level on the right - but there's no firm rule about the notation. Breaking the cells up into 2P groups will likely mean breaking half the connections in the module. :(

I did look at my notes and saved links, and while there appear to be 36 identical modules in the pack - made by LG Chem in Poland - I can't find any detail about the internal design of the modules beyond that the modules have 12 cells and a 3S configuration.

Perhaps they're the same as the LG Chem modules sold by Zero EV? The drawing posted by Zero EV calls it an "X590 module", and "X590" is the internal Jaguar project code for the I-Pace. The cell count, approximate dimensions, and overall configuration match. Someone at Zero EV may be able to help.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can only guess that the pouch cell tabs are welded together, because that's how modules of pouch cells are always done.

I'm sure that the parallel connections (of groups of four cells) are at the lowest level, with the resulting groups being connected in series (3 groups in a module), because that's the only rational way to do it. That is usually written as 3S4P... the lowest level on the right - but there's no firm rule about the notation. Breaking the cells up into 2P groups will likely mean breaking half the connections in the module. :(
I agree. My intention is to make 2 packs of 2P100S or so cells. This means i would need to break the 4P connection in halfh. I see with E-Tron cells it could be possible, but i would have to then reconnect them somehow and reverse contacts. Maybe 1mm aluminum plate with 3 screws on each side.

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
Maybe 1mm aluminum plate with 3 screws on each side.
The Chevrolet Bolt also uses LG Chem modules, so the work tiger82 did to reconfigure Bolt modules should be relevant:
Modified Bolt Pack for Tesla Cobra EV Race Car

... and one note from another thread:
We had copper connectors and backup plates CNC cut and bent. Everything was assembled with M5 nuts/bolts. Nuts were oval locking type. Holes were drilled on a drill press using a jig.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well thank you for that link. This is exactly how i have assembled my Kokam cells. Also i am looking for any info on how those LG cells are assembled inside Ipace modules. There seem to be copper bus plates across each module side. Bus plate is cut/indented so it can accept cell tab. Those tabs are then collected together and (friction) welded to bus plates.
My second plan will require cutting the bus plates where cells are welded as to make (2P + 2P)+(2P + 2P)+(2P + 2P). Then i intend to split 2P connections and connect them into 2x 2P3S so that i can make 2x 45Ah packs.

Also now it seems even alu module skin is welded together. So i will have to cut carefully on the sides and remove the sides to get cells out!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi

I may get a Jag battery here... 90kWh! But i will need to rewire those cell modules. Does anyone have any pic on how those modules look on the inside? I need to know if cells can be disassembled from 4P3S configuration to say 2P3S. If they are assembled by bolts or welded... I need to prepare on what is possible.

tnx
disassemble video

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tnx for the video...

in the meantime i took apart the actual battery and made some photos.
I also managed to split 4P modules and join them in 96S2P configuration.
It works now in my Pug.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
in the meantime i took apart the actual battery and made some photos.
I also managed to split 4P modules and join them in 96S2P configuration.
Great work, and thanks for sharing it. :)

Was there anything that you considered a surprise in the construction, or was it what you expected, as discussed months ago? From your description and photos, it all appears to be as expected, except bonded together and encased, rather than clamped in a stack.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great work, and thanks for sharing it. :)

Was there anything that you considered a surprise in the construction, or was it what you expected, as discussed months ago? From your description and photos, it all appears to be as expected, except bonded together and encased, rather than clamped in a stack.
I was annoyed by the blue thermal glue. It was spread thinly so i had to be very carefull when taking apart individual cell stacks.
Also i saw that copper contacts were welded by laser and alu contacts were welded by friction.

After some thought it came to me that i can just cut and split the copper contacts, drill some holes and torque them by M5 bolts. I had to arrange cell tabs so there would not be too much tension because of the misplaced holes. But 3000km and everything seems solid.

I am also thinking of making a liquid cooled plate to sit between both cells...

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
I was annoyed by the blue thermal glue. It was spread thinly so i had to be very carefull when taking apart individual cell stacks.
It's not surprising that the assembly without clamping bolts would be glued, but I can certainly believe it would be annoying. Recycling these is going to be a pain.

Also i saw that copper contacts were welded by laser and alu contacts were welded by friction.
Although I might not have guessed that, it makes physical sense for those materials.

After some thought it came to me that i can just cut and split the copper contacts, drill some holes and torque them by M5 bolts. I had to arrange cell tabs so there would not be too much tension because of the misplaced holes. But 3000km and everything seems solid.
Like tiger82 and the Chevrolet Bolt modules in their Tesla-powered Cobra.

I'm glad it's working out. That's valuable experience for others.

I am also thinking of making a liquid cooled plate to sit between both cells...
Again like the Cobra, essentially replicating the design of the LG Chem modules in the Chevrolet Volt. Would the improved heat transfer worth the extra work, compared to the original "chill plate on one module face" design?

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Again like the Cobra, essentially replicating the design of the LG Chem modules in the Chevrolet Volt. Would the improved heat transfer worth the extra work, compared to the original "chill plate on one module face" design?
Yes Cobra battery thread was an inspiration. But i dont see the need to fully cool the battery. My idea is to draw/bring heat from/to batteries inside insulated box during normal use or fast charging.
I need to think of a way because i have the cells packed quite tightly in packs of 2P8S and then two such packs are one over the other. I think it would be best to cool the cells in the middle between two packs https://openinverter.org/forum/download/file.php?id=7030&mode=view. That way would be most efficient i think. And i would only need one chill plate per two packs.
Lots of spagetti tubes though...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi

tnx
I have lots of pack photos if required here at Second life EV Batteries Ltd. more information can be found on www.slevb.com Individual modules are also for sale

hope this image of of some help

1 - 12 of 12 Posts