DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha, I did not convert my Yaris, I bought it already as an EV, so am wondering how much weight was taken out, ie motor, exhaust, fuel tank, Radiator and water. I know the weight of batteries and cable and motor, controller, hairball and dc/dc converter. Just wondering the weight of the removed ICE compontents. Toyota 1500cc. thanks
Francis

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Aloha, I did not convert my Yaris, I bought it already as an EV, so am wondering how much weight was taken out, ie motor, exhaust, fuel tank, Radiator and water. I know the weight of batteries and cable and motor, controller, hairball and dc/dc converter. Just wondering the weight of the removed ICE compontents. Toyota 1500cc. thanks
Francis
Most people are guessing at their numbers when converting an EV, you have a completed car. Do you have access to a scale? Up here there are a few on the edge of the city for truckers to self weigh to make sure they aren't overloaded. They are free, and you just drive on, and it displays a number on a screen. If so it might be easier to work the formula backwards. You said you have the weight of the components that were used to convert the car. (motor/batteries/controller etc.)
Take your converted weight, subtract what was added and that is your donor with all the parts removed. Compare that to the factory published curb weight (or the weight on the sticker on your door jam) and you have the weight of the ICE and other systems.

If you just want someone to do all the work for you and tell you the weight of each piece you might have better luck on a toyota Yaris forum where thousands of people have the same car. Although I think the Yaris makes a great conversion I don't think there are very many around. So you are relying on 1 or 2 people and hope the weighed each part, recorded it and made it public. I'd look for a scale.

·
Registered
894 Posts
My educated guess would be about 500lbs. I removed exactly 600lbs from my zx2 with a 2.0L engine, but a few things were put back in (acc battery, tray, etc.) Also, I weighed my car before conversion (exactly what was listed as curb weight) and I weighed EVERYTHING that came out and went in. When I weighed the car again post-conversion, it was exactly how much I calculated it should weigh. You can look at my website on the data page for those numbers if you're curious.

Bottom line, if the converter removed all he/she (hey, you never know!) could (fuel lines, emissions, etc) then ~500lbs is a good guess as to what was removed from your Yaris.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts