DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I own a Range Rover vogue of the year 2002 ( L322 ) which has a 4.4 litre BMW M62 engine and it uses an automatic 5 speed transmission.
I am contemplating converting this Range Rover to be fully electric.

I understand there are many different options such as using Prius, Leaf, Tesla etc doner parts.

From factory this Range Rover is supposed to be around 280 horse bhp so I would like the EV options to give similar power, also I would like a minimum of 150 miles range.

I am contemplating using the rear drive unit from a Tesla Model X due to its power requirements being sufficient and after researching this forum I noticed a post from user brian_ suggesting placing the drive unit where the transmission & transfer case currently is.

Tesla parts are not necessary so advice on non-tesla methods would also be of use :)

I also do not want to this build to cost a large amount but do understand that parts and labour for such a task is not cheap.

Thanks
Preet

·
Registered
7,950 Posts
From factory this Range Rover is supposed to be around 280 horse bhp so I would like the EV options to give similar power, also I would like a minimum of 150 miles range.
Fortunately, two of almost any common EV drive units would have reasonable power output, so if you put one complete drive unit (motor with transaxle and inverter) at each axle, you would have all wheel drive and suitable performance. This isn't a reasonable option for earlier Range Rovers (or classic Land Rovers) due to their beam axles, but the L322 is an essentially unrelated design that has independent suspension at both axles.

Very few DIY builders have used front and rear drive units, but it is the normal configuration for AWD production EVs.

I am contemplating using the rear drive unit from a Tesla Model X due to its power requirements being sufficient and after researching this forum I noticed a post from user brian_ suggesting placing the drive unit where the transmission & transfer case currently is.
That's a method (using aftermarket parts to change the drive unit gearing etc) that has been worked out specifically for vehicle which have a longitudinal powertrain (which the L322 does) and a transfer case which drive offset propeller shafts to each axle (which earlier Range Rovers do, but not this one). It can still work, but the shaft to the rear would run at a significant angle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate the response brian_ and thanks for your input :)
I replied late as I got sidetracked but now have come back to the idea.

I am interested in a dual motor setup as you mentioned.

Would you know of any members in the UK willing to give technical advice or even pay for a consultation?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts