DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we just moved up to the woods and I keep finding myself needing a smaller vehicle to get around in, move stuff, that kind of thing. I have tons experience with big V8's, 4x4, fabrication and the like, that part doesn't bother me. But I've decided to go electric for torque and have absolutely zero experience with that. What I'm needing is a setup that with be able the move and tow some of our vehicles around if need be. My '85 Ranger is sitting now. It's mint with a new engine but it has a vacuum leak I can't find which requires it being towed up to the garage and that is no easy task. We are basically on the side of a mountain. Everything is steep. 4x4 or awd is required to live here.

Now the tough part, imagine I have next to no budget, then take away what you thought I had. Moving cost everything I had. My question to you guys is what are some cheap electric motors I could use? Even if I have to couple a few? A good lightweight transmission to take the torque? I have access to almost every mechanical part but no idea what to do about motors or a decent controller. Btw, it absolutely needs to be 4x4 or awd. I'm not opposed to coupling 4 motors if I have to, if its even possible.

Please don't destroy me, I barely know what I'm talking about when it comes to this stuff.

Thank you

·
Registered
727 Posts
Wow, those vacuum leaks can indeed be hard to locate. I remember a case with a wrong gasket on the intake manifold.
Eventually found the cause when the car was stripped for parts.

But anyway, Damien (jackbauer) is on a very tight budget, but luckily you can start with a "free" minty fresh 4x4.:)

His budget isn't going to work for me, but I am considering following in his footsteps, though I always find it hard to keep up with him. He's definitely a very busy guy.
No idea if getting it road legal is part of the budget. Probably not an issue on the side of a mountain.:)

·
Registered
182 Posts
With as you say "no budget", I think you need to do what Damian has done with this latest build project. Start with the battery pack. That will be your biggest expense and if you can't resolve that for what you can afford, the rest is a moot point. For a motor, try to find a cheap sit down electric forklift that you can salvage a motor from and maybe a few other parts as well. Check out the forklift motor thread.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts