DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Would you pay 10000$ for a DIY kit to make your car Hybrid ?

• YES

Votes: 14 16.1%
  • NO

Votes: 73 83.9%

• Total voters
381 - 384 of 384 Posts

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
It may be workable, but still limited low-end torque vs maximum speed with a single reduction drive. Planetary gears might be better. There may be a problem with the controller and position/speed feedback at start-up that may still exist at higher speeds but is masked by the rotational inertia.

This could be a decent concept, but the motor and connections need better environmental protection. I'd hate to drive this thing through salty slush on the roads as exist here in MD and much of the country over the winter.

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
He seems to be making his own, with a reduction, using Mars(?) motors.
Yes, appears to be ME4201 motor from Motenergy. Rated at about 4 to 5 hp continuous. He seems to have control problems, with a single motor drive. Bound to have more with 4 motor drives. He was looking for control help on the ES forum. Even if he gets that solved, four times 5 hp without good overload tolerance is going to make for a very lethargic and slow car. He may be able to drive it off the trailer for a car show, but I doubt he will ever put it on the track, or even the street.

Reminds me of this fellow, LotusEV and: http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78395A lot of time and money building a nice looking car around wheelmotors and then no wheelmotors. And not much in the way of options for installing axle drives.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Almost 5 year zooommbiiee thread... Did this guy ever get anything going? I see theres a QS Motor in-hub motor up to 20kw, anyone tried this??

381 - 384 of 384 Posts