DIY Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
another insanely expensive unobtanium technology would be ceramic bearings. they might not even be made in sizes necessary for a car though or have enough load bearing capacity, but they do wonders for skateboards & bikes.

as to hydrogen filled tires, i guess i could see how tiny hydrogen atoms are more likely to leak than atmospheric oxygen, nitrogen & carbon dioxide, but refill every day? really? they never talk about long term issues like that in indy racing for some reason.
Like the fact that they're only racing for one day? :p

·
Registered
304 Posts
That's because IndyCar and other forms of racing use non-combustible Nitrogen in their tires.

In addition, at a speed a rotating mass imparts no more or less efficiency to a system than an equivalent static one. You are correct, however, that reducing mass overall by choosing lighter wheels (which would result in a lower rotational mass as well as static mass) would help efficiency.

Acceleration is where you can see a difference between rotational and static masses.

·
Registered
119 Posts
you can modify your BMW as much as you can, it will never be so good like the Prius...

So, keep the BMW as it is...sell it...buy another Prius and convert it to EV...

·
Registered
56 Posts
rotational inertia is a double edged sword. once you get a heavy mass rolling, it wants to stay rolling and can give you an extra boost up a grade or just let you coast further, but it also makes stopping harder as well as changing direction.

i seem to remember reading somewhere that it's effect on a drivetrain can be substantial and maybe even the most bang for the buck improvement you can make on a car. i know i can feel the difference between slicks & beach knobbies on my MTB very easily as well as feel when my pressure is low.

i was being sarcastic about indy cars. obviously no one is interested in what happens after a race. a lot of the time, people think i'm being serious when i'm not. maybe it would help if i carried a puppet that makes funny faces when i'm joking.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts