DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
looks like the store is closed. Any other vendors selling anything along these lines or links to where I can read up more on them?
I am not sure Paul supports field weakening. This is essential for high revs. But if you want to use transmission up to 7000rpm then you are good with his power stage.

Check out Arlos power stage
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=63982&p=963227#p963227

And Johannes hijacking of original Leaf inverter AND other inverters with his brain...
https://openinverter.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=138&start=60

·
Registered
976 Posts
I'm pretty sure the Leaf's power output is limited by the batteries. Whether that's due to heat or chemistry, I dunno...I haven't been able to find specs on how much current the motor draws at full throttle and how much current each module can deliver.
Yes after 2500rpm inverter starts reducing torque to remain in the 80kw power limit. I also think this is mostly because of battery motor power declaration. Legal... I think battery can safely withstand 300A.

If you keep max torque 280Nm up to 4000rpm you would get 115kW which is also the power limit of the new 2019 leaf.

Then if you keep 280Nm up to 7000rpm which is approx the motor voltage limit without field weakening you would get 200kW. Now that is a lot of power and incidentally some 360V 600A limit on transistors. I think 200kW is a good bet for max power on this motor, but for only a 30s burst on most controllers. Not that motor would complain, transistors inside inverter need to be cooled.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Hm... Maybe one could listen with Savycan on CAN bus and reference what the pedal position is and what Leaf brain is commanding inverter to do.

From Ampera (2013 Volt) i know when you apply sport mode you actually dont increase power. What this does is shift throttle curve to provide more torque at lower end of the RPM. The car seems more powerfull that way and in the end you dont need much torque at the 10KRPM to step over 80kW limit.

So there it is your solution for low end power.
1. Put a CAN filter uC on CAN lines between brain and inverter.
2. Filter out the torque demand IDs. Those are published.
3. After filter connect one uC that will read throttle position and calculate what data MSG to output.
4. Test drive!

Maybe you could get away with not cutting the wires. You would just have to time nonsuspecting CAN ID of torque and transmitt the CAN ID with your data just before so inverter decides to listen to yours instead of original. I think there is some requirement how fast throttle signal is transmitted. If you send duplicate ID original will get filtered out as an echo...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.