DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, i fix honda eu2000's and resell them, and ive got one id like to use the guts out of for some kind of cool mode of transportation(bulky ass 4wd off road board is really the goal), the engine and permanent magnet stator are really not that big, and should easily put out 2kw 3 phase considering it wont be going through the honda inverter.
Anyway, a few of the the parts that is getting me are, how do i control the power from the generator, to either charge, drive the motors, or do a balance of both if charge and driving situations call for it? And whats the best way to regulate the generator output, it has a solenoid controlled carburetor already, and a sensor for rpm.
I feel like its definitely possible, but i could use a little help figuring it out.

And before anyone tells me, i know that the generator engine isnt exactly made for any kind of off road vehicle and is made to operate stationary, but being that its modelled after a regular gx100 i think i can make it work.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
That's an interesting project.

Essentially you would be replacing the stock rectifier and inverter with your own power conditioning. The output of the generator is presumably relatively high frequency 3-phase power at a voltage above the peak voltage of the final 120 V RMS inverter output (so about 200 V DC). It should be feasible to rectify and PWM regulate it to battery-charging voltage, particularly if you choose something around 120 V as your nominal battery voltage.

I doubt that you would want to build a drive system without a battery. It can be done: locomotive, ships, and some heavy (200 ton) mining trucks do that. Floating a battery in the system instead would allow you to use bursts of higher power that the generator can supply, with the battery charge recovering when demand goes down. The motor would be controlled as with any battery-powered vehicle, and the engine's controls would respond to the varying load as the charger responds to battery voltage.

So, you would end up building just a DC-to-DC charge controller, and otherwise buying and assembling battery, motor controller, and motor as with any other EV conversion.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I'm not clear on the type of vehicle you are trying to build. Can you describe it a little more? You say 4 wheel drive....how many seats, how heavy, target speed, body work? Are you thinking about 4 hub motors or a single bigger motor driving through gears/transfer case? Will it be based on a doner vehicle?

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
And before anyone tells me, i know that the generator engine isnt exactly made for any kind of off road vehicle and is made to operate stationary, but being that its modelled after a regular gx100 i think i can make it work.
I agree that the engine is the same as is used on mobile power equipment, so it's probably fine with a little bouncing around. If you have significant sustained acceleration (including turning or braking) then lubrication could be an issue, because if it really is a GX100 then it only has splash lubrication: no pump, just the crankshaft dipping into the oil in the sump and literally splashing it around.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
What is the object of this exercise ?
If its a series hybrid type drive learning exercise, then fine, work through the issues.
But if its to just build a fun off road buggy, then drop the generator and elec motors from the plan.
They are just adding weight , complication, cost, and reducing performance on what will be a not too dynamic vehicle.
A simple centrifugal clutch and chain drive will get you mobile.
But dont expect too much from a gx100, its a small motor,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the objective is just to build something for the fun of it, because ill enjoy riding it, and that i haven't specifically seen anyone else attempt it.
sorry if my description on what exactly i want it to be was too vague, i want a powered off-road mountain-board (skateboard for off-road). it'll definitely be a little bulky, but after having my hands on the generator components, and considering everything from the framework to the suspension and steering would be custom built to accommodate it, i dont think it will be too bad.

brain, i was definetly planning on using batteries.

karter, its an exercise for the fun of it, i want to do it because ive got the idea now, i like the idea now, and i know i can do it and make it work. Obviously anyone with the sense to put serious thought into designing and building a hybrid electric probably knows about clutches and chains.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts