DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
im new to this ev thing, getting excited, so many ideas floating in my head i figure its time to get some direction. Ill be building a b-2200, fully ev, and was wondering if somebody could tell me if after my research i came anywhere close to a good setup to put in this thing..
i will be useing 12- 12v deep cycle 90Ah batteries, at 144v, through a Kelly Racing Controller KDH14121E, which will go to my warp 9 motor, then through an EVGlide Transmission.
All the small stuff will need worked out but im curious if anyone else sees this setup doing good?
ill be running a hydraulics system on the truck to to adjust height, have fun etc. it will be mostly a show/weekend cruiser.
also ill be putting 2 solar panels(200w panels) on the back to charge while in the sun, also tossing around the idea of a bio diesel engine in the engine bay? any input on that?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Word of advice, unless you're willing to spend even more money on a decent controller, go ahead and purchase something other than Kelly. I've seen so many people put them in only to swear at them later. Curtis 1231 is a good one, very affordable and is in very widespread use. I've only seen one complaint on this one and is what I use.

How will two solar panels charge a 144V pack?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Oh and that is a good truck! I had an 86, my first new truck. I put over 150K on it.

One other thing, for lead batteries, lead = mileage. Your setup will be great for short trips with lots of pep but you'll likely be very limited in mileage. Round trip I suspect will be less than 20 miles. Look up a similar setup on evalbum.com and you'll get lots of ideas and an idea of your mileage with 12V batteries.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Hey,
im new to this ev thing, getting excited, so many ideas floating in my head i figure its time to get some direction. Ill be building a b-2200, fully ev, and was wondering if somebody could tell me if after my research i came anywhere close to a good setup to put in this thing..
i will be useing 12- 12v deep cycle 90Ah batteries, at 144v, through a Kelly Racing Controller KDH14121E, which will go to my warp 9 motor, then through an EVGlide Transmission.
All the small stuff will need worked out but im curious if anyone else sees this setup doing good?
ill be running a hydraulics system on the truck to to adjust height, have fun etc. it will be mostly a show/weekend cruiser.
also ill be putting 2 solar panels(200w panels) on the back to charge while in the sun, also tossing around the idea of a bio diesel engine in the engine bay? any input on that?
Thanks.
Kelly controller I would not buy. Some folks do ok with them, but I wouldn't risk it. Too many horror stories. Battery pack like that in a b2200 will get you around the block a few times and that is about it. How far were u planning to go? Most people who pick trucks do so because they can carry a ton of lead (pun intended). You are putting in a small amount of energy storage. A smallish car can carry those batts and go further. If you want range, u'll need more ah. If u want a bit of performance, you'll need more voltage also. For a truck, minimum 144 volts. If you want 90 Ah or usable energy, double the size of the batts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts