DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Wheelbarrow. Fiat 211 with underneath hoe.
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My controller went up in smoke, but tractor is going pretty well still :cool:
A controller priced at several 100$ is beyond my budget, so what do I do?
The tractor starts and works without controller, but Im afraid it wont last, because
1) Inrush current is tough and
2) It will be used by "unauthorised personel", so Im afraid Amps during operation may climb too high...

Motor is 24 V 80A cont. I want to limit it to 100A max. Could be done with a fuse... Easy to replace in the field. I guess people will learn not to set the hoe too deep ;-)

Would it be possible to use something like Lee Harts Zener or light bulb plans, for no 1 or for both?
I have bulbs for 230V AC 500, 1000 or 2000W...
Any ideas anyone. As you may have guessed, Im quite new at this, so please bear with me. Regards John in Denmark.
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread

·
Registered
801 Posts
There is a Hungarian joint on Ebay selling pretty inexpensive controllers for brush motors. Here is one of their units that may work for you :

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a Hungarian joint on Ebay selling pretty inexpensive controllers for brush motors. Here is one of their units that may work for you :
Looks like the one I have fried ;-) Its rated at 50 Volts and 100Amps. I use 24 volts, so I guess my Amps must have been through the roof...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
An idea came up:
My old Mercedes 508 Light truck, around 1975, had 12V electrics, but used a relay to create 24V when starting the engine.
Would 12V in my tractor serve as softstart, going back to 24V when its moving?
If Amps grow too much in 12V mode, maybe a seperat larger fuse during start, could do the trick?
As for current limiting during normal work, a large Amp meter in front of the driver, combined with a 100Amp fuse, may do the trick?
Any thoughts?
Regards John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.