DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a good company to insure my 1999 Solectria Force with. I am
currently with State Farm, but they are insuring it only as a 1999 Chevy Metro.
There would be no money to pay for any of the electrics (Batteries,
Controller,Motor, etc.). Does anyone have experience with an insurer that
understands and insures electric vehicles?
AARP and Gieco won't touch an electric vehicle! As long as you have one, they won't even cover your regular cars!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am looking for a good company to insure my 1999 Solectria Force with. I am
currently with State Farm, but they are insuring it only as a 1999 Chevy Metro.
There would be no money to pay for any of the electrics (Batteries,
Controller,Motor, etc.). Does anyone have experience with an insurer that
understands and insures electric vehicles?
AARP and Gieco won't touch an electric vehicle! As long as you have one, they won't even cover your regular cars!
I use 21st for my classic motorcycles. They use a replacement value, which is good.

For their classic cars, they partner with JC Taylor. Call them, and ask for the classic car policy. 877-618-7001

Please let us know how this goes.

Thanks,

Michael

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use 21st for my classic motorcycles. They use a replacement value, which is good.

For their classic cars, they partner with JC Taylor. Call them, and ask for the classic car policy. 877-618-7001

Please let us know how this goes.

Thanks,

Michael
Thanks for your reply. Out of 100 people who have viewed this post, your the only one to respond!

I called the number for JC Taylor. They do not insure anything that is newer than 1992. I guess I will have to keep looking.

Thanks again,
Larry

·
Registered
27 Posts
They do not insure anything that is newer than 1992. I guess I will have to keep looking.

Thanks again,
Larry
Yeah, I wasn't sure about that. My car is a '65, and my bike is a '68.

Try calling Leland West, they do some of this.

The type of insurance that you are looking for is called "Stated Value", so you can try Googling that as well.

My 21st agent also told me to try these guys: https://givemeinsurance.com/Presentation Layer/Home.aspx

Hope that helps. Do let us know what you find.

Thanks,

Michael

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Larry,

I read your post but I did not have an answer to your question but I have been thinking about the same thing. I would love to know what you find out. I am getting ready to start building.

Thanks, Rich

·
Registered
301 Posts
Be careful with stated value or agreed value policies. There is a thread on here about an EV that was damaged while parked and the long story behind the payoff. We do know of another ev'er who had a total loss and had a tremendous fight to get half of what the agreed value was. If you are looking for this type of insurance, keep every receipt from your build and expect a fight if yours cost a lot more than comparable ev's. Insurance companies will go as far as look on ebay and evalbum to see what other conversions cost and sell for. I can't seem to find the thread that this was all discussed, I'll keep looking but maybe another member can remember....
mike
www.EV-propulsion.com

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too am searching for affordable Insurance coverage on my 2008 Subaru Forester conversion. I have over $50K into car (purchased it new) and the Azure motor/controller, Lithium pack, MM charger, etc. My regular Farmers agent has been shopping around, and the best he's come up with is $40K replacement value with $500 deductible for a premium of $2,000 per year. That's from a specialty insurer that knows it's a modified vehicle. I understand some DIY EV owners don't tell their insurer that their vehicle has been modified, but in the case of a claim, they're going to deny coverage. Has anyone found a willing and able insurance company to underwrite their converted EVs?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Any more thoughts out there from the community on insuring your DIY EV? I have a 1973 240Z that I will be using for regular commuting. So far, no great options, particularly in WA. How are others insuring their cars?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts